Monday, January 31, 2011

Teaser of Spring Then WHAMMO!!!

What a teaser of warm weather this past weekend. Knowing Deb was heading out of town and my riding would be limited I got on the forefront of it and got in a solid 2hr ride on Thursday and then a great 3:15hr road (for the most part) cruise Friday afternoon. Legs are still heavy and snap is not there, but getting better ride by ride.
Saturday Deb headed off for a weekend with her sister at the Lake of the Ozarks and left us boys to fend for ourselves (not really it just sounds better for me that way). Jake, Ian, and I ref'ed several basketball games (Ian watched while Jake and I did it) at SBU for the Special Olympics groups. We do this every year and I love watching everyone of all abilities competing - AWESOME. Afterwards Ian and I knocked out some more trail cutting while Jake and Andee had an afternoon in SGF. E and I finished off our work with some Mr. Wings; a new wings place in Bolivar.

When we got back Ian wanted to clean out Jake's Rodeo as it was a junk pile so I said why not. Below is a 'before' picture AFTER his bike was removed (six PAIR of shoes were found...)


The rest of the evening was just kicked back and relaxing. E and I did end up watching Sponge Bob until 11pm which is entirely too much of SB!

Sunday got an early start with the men's 'cross world championships in Germany. I have no problem with Stybar winning although Nys was my sentimental favorite. Sven is a cycling stud, but between Pauwels, Stybar, and Albert it is time of a new era.

Church was quality with a message that hit me straight between the eyes. Afterwards we had a great 'soup' lunch with some families from our Sunday School group. E-ball had practice with the 5th graders (later he joined me) while I knocked some more trail cutting.

Deb got home mid-evening and the rest of the night was spent goofing around.

Monday AM got in a great core/lower strength workout at SBU, lunch had me playing an hour of basketball, then after a great homemade chicken & noodle I hopped on the rollers for an hour. The buzz of the day and evening was the anticipation of 'the big 2011 snow storm'; weather folks were going to look pretty stupid if they didn't get this one right...

Long and short of it - they got it right. Woke up several times Monday night to the sound of ice pellets against the windows and by morning the snow accumulation had begun. School for the boys was cancelled, but Deb and I headed on into the office. We shoveled the walk several times and the next it looked like it had never been done. The snow and wind where high all day and by night's end we had over 18" on the ground with huge drifts everywhere. The 4x4 Durango had no problem busting through the road to our house, but a little bit more and I'm not sure we could drive around.
Jumped on the rollers for 45min then shifted to a trainer for another 45min (two 24 episodes, which I finished up season 3). Walked into house and smelled yummy sweetness as Deb pulled some banana bread from the oven (how did I get so lucky to marry her????). Lots of laziness ensued for the rest of the evening.
Wednesday the boys had another day at home while Deb and I headed off to work (she and I work together if you didn't know). The plows came through over night and the roads in town are drive-able, but there is quite a bit of snow pack and ice still covering them; imagine the boys will be out of school for the rest of the week. The sun is out and it would be a great day to 'snow bike' or sled, but the temp is nasty at around 12* with a wind chill near 0* - not going out in this. Looks like a couple hours on the rollers tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment