Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Waffles, Its What's for Training

Last night was the Toasty Waffle training race put on by the St. John's team (and probably A&B since they were there with support) on the Fellow's Lake loop (11miles with lumps). I did both of these last year and it's a great time to get in some fast group training with a hint of racing going on, but mostly just a getting in a good solid effort with a good group of guys.

I didn't decide to go until the last minute as I was torn between the Waffle and catching one of Ian's baseball games; he was fine with me racing so off to Fellow's Lake it was. Hooked up with David Evans (local mtb'er) and we went down together. This was his first road race (EVER) so we chatted about some basic issues on the drive down; he was way more calm than I would have been at my first one. I was trying to remember back to my first race and I think it was a mtb race in Germany, but I am not sure (many moons ago); I do know I sucked and made a vow to figure out how to get faster quickly.

Pulled up and the usual suspects were in attendance. Don't know for sure how many in the 'A' race, but guessing 20-25 (not to shabby for a Tuesday night). Ride started casual and maybe 1/3 way in the first lap (3 laps = 33 miles) it got some flow to it and it remained that way for the rest of the evening. Got in a couple breaks (going nowhere fast), made my share of pulls, and generally enjoyed the fast pedaling and how smooth the group worked together. I guess about half way thru several folks dropped and I am guessing but going into the final lap there might have been 10 or so us left. Everyone seemed to share the work in between Huff's 150 rpm sessions. Group reached the final climb up the dam hill (writing on the wall for me of course) and the 'fast kids' took off and the rest of us scrapped for what was left; I finished 6th and felt really good all night without ever being under much pressure (minus the last climb). Only one mishap as a couple guys went down after a wheel rub; both were fine, but the bikes didn't look so good...

Quick drive back with David, who enjoyed his first go of it with the 'B' group and he is looking forward to doing it again.

Waffle #2 is next Tuesday and I'll have to see if I make it as I don't want to miss too many of Ian's games.

So let's back up a couple days... Monday night Ian was back on the hardwood (basketball) as he is now 'playing up' in a local league with a combined 5th/6th grade team. It funny to watch as he is sooo much shorter than the rest, but it bothers him none and he is the primary ball handler when he's in. Ended up playing way more than sitting during the double header games without a bit of intimidation; love watching him play (and not have to coach).

Also on Monday Deb and I received our Foster Parent licensing (1 more week until we finish our Adoptive certification) so now it's sitting back and waiting for THE phone call. It's really odd in that it's like telling us Deb is pregnant without a due date (and not knowing the size of the child). We don't worry or stress over it as God has his hand over this and is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment