Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Labor Day Weekend and Ramblings

Wow, what a great relaxing (and taxing on the bike) long weekend! Bounced around here and there but never felt rushed or in a hurry to get to the next place. Monday evening both Deb and I commented on it greatness.

Friday morning got in a couple hours of bike driving with Dale. We ended up working quite a bit of technique getting on and off the bike and he will be way faster come race days as his mechanics improved tons.

Friday evening we got a sitter for the little guy and Deb, Ian, and I headed off to the Bolivar HS home opener football game. Before the game I watched SBU's home cross country meet - man those guys can run. Back to the football game; not much of a game to watch (BHS won 7o something to 7), but great night to hang out with friends.

Got in a good mix of longer climbing and shorter intervals on the road with David, Ira, and TJ. Tough workout, but it felt super good to hurt like that. Bolivar has gotten quite a nice group of guys with whom to cruise.

Grabbed some lunch with my folks in SGF and actually did a little shopping at the mall with them. The reason I bring this up is it's VERY rare to see my dad in a mall! He endured it like a champ and it ended up a good afternoon.

Sunday started the 'changing of the winds' and brought in temps in the 70's - awesome (actually made my 'cross sensors stand up and take notice)! After church Dale, Nate, and I hopped on the Frisco for a 2:30hr easy spin - incredible weather. Rest of the day was spent in the yard either playing or working.

Monday everyone slept in and lazied the day away! Rest day on the bike found me goofing around with Ira on the SBU 'cross courses making sure the carbon tubulars were glue up right (and they are). Like I said it was a day of easy pace and goofing off. Deb and the little guy made a handful of trips to the park and school playgrounds to get some energy burned off. Big bummer news of the day was the scooter gearing is toast so I have a choice to make: take it to a shop and spend some decent bucks to fix it, fork over bigger buck for a new one, or count it was loss and the fact that I paid $100 for it and it lasted two years... Not sure right now, but I do know I want it (or another) back; bad!

Tuesday at noon Ira and I hoped on some quality intervals at SBU and finished them off with a handful of race simulation starts. I'm feeling pretty decent and the legs are starting to get a little snap to them along with some decent acceleration. I was cooked when we got done.

The little guy had soccer practice last night and he is a lot like E-ball; all business and one heck of a good athlete. His first game (and Ian's) is this weekend and it will be fun to watch. Just don't hope he hurts to many others as he tends to go THRU them to get the ball and not around.

Got out on the Frisco at lunch today for a solid 2 x 30 min steady state effort. Great weather and a great place to train uninterrupted pedaling; very similar to being on a trainer, but without the stationary part.


Got on sportsbaseonline and snagged my registration for the Boss Cross series in KC. Joe and Jeremy do JY-like quality events and I love supporting them. Since the flooding played havoc with the Riverside venue they are mixing it up this year with bigger and better courses. Another great change is the BC 4 event (Dec 3) is the day before State Champs (Dec 4) so there won't be a couple different things going on in one race - nice change boys! The best news of it is Deb hooked us up for a week cruise to the Bahama's on December 5th so it all fits in nicely!!!!

Going to STL this weekend, but not to start 'cross; we are taking the boys to a STL Cardinals game Sunday afternoon to watch my nephew's school choir sing the national anthem. Should be a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment