Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Cruising Thru January

This month is flying right along! The weather has been incredible, but I am itchy for a little snow in which to play...
.
Training... er, riding is going pretty good. During January I don't look at any numbers and anything related to 'training'; it's all about just getting out and riding when I can. With the temps being so good that has translated into quite a bit of riding and not much of it on the rollers (weapon of choice in winter). Since most of my spring is racing mtb's (which is kind of funny as I hardly touch single track except for racing) I am spending all my time on my 29er with some 35mm cross tires and 1 x 9 gearing. This set up is great for winter backroad riding while getting me adapted to the mtb position.
.
Race calendar for early spring is kind of set (super flexible on most of this):
- Frozen Waffles RR in early March
- God's Country MTB weekend late March
- Omba Caramba MTB mid-April
- Bone Bender 3HR mid-April
- Joe Martin Stage Race late-April
.
On a fitness front I somehow stayed clear of the holiday snacks (along with showing some moderation) and now am 170lbs (this time last year I was 178) and feeling pretty lean. This is around where I would like to stay as a couple years ago I dropped to 165lbs and totally felt lacking in power/strength so 168-172 is the focus. Next week I start lower body workouts in the gym and really looking forward to getting it going.
.
Jake and I (and Ira) are still running the Syllamo 25 trail race in mid-February and unlike him I going to see how it goes on 'one run a week' (he is knocking out the miles daily). I am feeling my age more and more on the runs and since my runs are all 10+ miles my legs can't take it too often. I am looking forward to the weekend with Jake and getting this stupid running behind me (ha!).
.
On the home front we are staying pretty busy with Ian's basketball games and all the boy's general activities. Ian is having the time of his life and when asked if he wants to slow down he replies "why would I do that when I'm doing what I love?" You really need to know the boy to understand his internal drive.
.
The little man has really fit in great with us and visa versa; he is so much fun (and work). He and Ian hug and bicker with each other just like they were natural brothers. He is excelling in school, but still struggles with 'personal space' issues from time to time; he has really come a long ways and it's getting better and better daily. Deb is almost always referred as 'mom' now and he is occasionally calling me 'dad' which I have to say is pretty cool. It is unknow when (or if, although it looks pretty good) he will become available for adoption, but we aren't letting it effect the way we love on him.
.
Jake had a great first semester at SBU and has a tough one (18hrs) this spring. He picked up a sweet Bustin long board a couple months back and is loving cruising on it.
.
Deb is, well, Deb (translated to super awesome!); keeping busy keeping the rest of us in line...

No comments:

Post a Comment