Friday, April 20, 2012

So last week was Bone Bender 3/6hr race in Lawrence and I decided it was best if I skipped it as I fought (still lingering today) some kind of cold/respiratory thing.  It hit me the Monday night before the race and I took it super low key all week getting plenty of rest, but on Thursday when I went to the gym for some light basketball I had 0% energy and knew my weekend was screwed.  Bummer as I really enjoyed the event last year and was looking to get my 2012 racing started off there, but what can you do...

I took in some light riding Friday and Sunday and started to feel somewhat normal again.  This week has been better but still not good.  Tuesday I got out on the road for some hill intervals and they were ok, but nothing stellar.  I've had a pretty decent late winter/spring riding/fitness run of it and like where I am at for the most part, but until you spin the cranks at a race you never really know where you stand. 

Well this weekend is the Omba Caramba mtb race at Sac and if all goes as hoped it will be my first race of '12.  Haven't decided to race the Marathon class or the Cat 1 Masters, but I do know either way I'm riding the SS and here's why.  Yesterday I pre-rode the course (BTW its typical Sac and pretty fun) with my Trek Rig donned with gears (1st time on any single track this way) as I figured if I was going to race Cat 1 I would need it for the opening (long paved section leading to wide open downhill run into the woods) so out for three laps and I didn't enjoy it near as much as what I do on it as a SS. Matter of fact I hated it and felt a little lost.  I like the simplicity of just focusing on the trail and not running thru gears.  IMO Sac is not a place that will make much difference geared or SS (except for the start) and since I realistically understand I have little chance of a top 5 in either race (Cat 1 or Marathon) I might as well enjoy my ride while I'm out there.  I'm leaning marathon even though it will cut into my LBL viewing Sunday morning...

Saturday evening the Mercy-Kuat guys are putting on a short track event at Sac with the 'A' race going off around 6pm.  Not sure I'll make this and will have to see how the day goes.

Saturday is a busy one as Ian has three basketball games at a local tourey and the little guy has a soccer match.  Busy, but fun
On the MWI front our group/team is growing and part of the new blood includes my training partners Ira and Dale. It is so cool to have these guys on the team and look forward to seeing both don the jackalope attire. How long until 'cross starts...

No comments:

Post a Comment