Monday, May 14, 2012

Greensfelder MTB - Lemonade from Lemons


Yesterday, as everyone knows, was Mother's Day.  Just want to lead this off with how much I love and appreciate mine; top shelf she is. 

Now on to Deb:  For those who have the privilege to know her more than in passing, you understand how incredibly blessed I am to have her in my kid's life and for those of you who don't know her, well, get to know her.  She cares and loves my boys (all three of them) like little I've seen from anyone else and it floors me sometimes at her deep natural desire to provide healthy structured unconditional love.  She embodies and exhibits effortless qualities I imagine Christ did while he was among us.  The way she embraces our little guy as one of her natural kids speaks volumes to me daily.  Thanks so much for letting me be part of your life...  

This past weekend packed up the crew Friday evening for a quick drive to STL for the following day's mtb race.  Was hoping to get into town early enough to catch the P/1 MOPRO race, but after a late start from Bolivar just couldn't make it.  Bummer as Huff took the win.

OK, goofy thing Deb and I witnessed on the drive (bit disturbing so skip if you want).  Pulling into Buffalo we saw a truck being pulled over by a local policeman.  As the truck turned off the main road into a parking lot we saw why she was pulled over... she forgot that her pet dog was still leashed to her bumper and drug it who knows how far.  It was obviously dead as it's lifeless body appeared to tow behind like a gray mop.  We stopped for food on the other side of the road and watched as the owner was taken to the back, dropped to her knees and sobbed as expected in disbelief.  I've heard of this (Clark Griswold) but until now never witnessed it.  Not good...

Crashed at Deb's sister's house and the boys got a chance to play and hang out. 

Saturday morning made the 10 minute trek (that's crazy nice) to Greensfelder for the marathon mtb event.  Took the single speed and after chatting with a couple locals and folks who raced it last year they didn't discourage me to ride the SS, but figured it would be a challenge as there is some elevation changes that might be tough.  Knew I wouldn't be on the front end of the race so figured I might as well do it on the bike setup I most enjoy.
Got to catch up with some STL folks I hadn't seen since last 'cross season which is always good.  Big turnout for the marathon (53 was the report I heard) with plenty of fast kids.  The start is kind of jeep road with a slight downhill so I was screwed on the SS from the gun, but settled in to what turned out to be one of my favorite courses ever raced.  Tons of technical single track with challenging sections and crazy fun flowy stuff.  The climbs were easily manageable for the SS (32/18) except for one short section that most were not riding anyway. 

I never start super hard from the gun on 3 hr events, but here I jacked myself up be letting too many 'single track challenged' folks get in front early.  With limited places to pass and what seemed a general unwillingness to let faster riders by I settled in and rode the first loop way slower than hoped, but feeling ready to turn it up for the next ones. 

Past the start/finish line and down quite a ways and then it fell apart; no not me, but my Crank Bros Egg Beater.  Body came right off the spindle.  Turned back, rode to the road back to the start where I had my tool kit.  Grabbed a screwdriver to remove the cap, but it was stuck tight and stripped it out and couldn't get it off.  After 20 minutes of working with others it just wasn't coming off.  Just about to pack it up when a nice family lent me a Candy; well, might as well get some riding in since I was there.  Knew my buddy T Holtmann was coming up I waited for him and we headed off for his lap 3 and my 2nd.  Rode with him chatting until he let me know he was going to finish this lap and call it quits (Cedar Cross last week and Syllamo Revenge next) so I pushed on.

Riding was super good and by the end was able to snag 4 laps (literally setting out 1).  Wouldn't have been near the top, but rode well and would have like to see how I would have fared.  Oh well, it turned out a fun morning!  Super thanks to the family who lent me the pedal.

Got a chance to chat with some more folks before heading out.  I will be back time and time again as Greensfelder is awesome fun!

Hung out with the STL family for a bit before heading back to Bolivar.

Sunday morning after Sunday School we met up with my mom, dad, and my brother's family to celebrate my wonderful mom.  Grabbed some chow then hung out at a park for a bit watching the kids play. 
Sunday afternoon got the crew together (Dale, Ira, and Nate) and took a 1:45hr stroll down the Frisco.  Great having Ira back from Colorado and getting my boys together.  Looking forward to many more.


Got back and knocked out some mowing, shrub trimming, and gardening.  Snagged a couple cherries off my two-year old tree as that thing is loaded.  Hoping to get a pie in a couple weeks (if I stop snacking).  Also chowed on a couple raspberries.  My blackberries are going crazy and will have tons ready in a week or two.  Love my snack-berry plants and trees.


Speaking of trees, this morning (after waiting a month) our new 20' maple was put in the back yard.  Strategically placed it to give shade to the west-facing patio in later afternoon.  Turnout out way better than expected and by next year it's going to be great (good now, but better as it fills out).  Went in crazy fast with the auger device shown below.


Not much shaking this week outside of routine day-to day busy-ness.  Looking to make it to Harrison's Crawdad Kermesse circuit race on Saturday.  It will be my first race on skinny tires in quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment