Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Late Addition to the MTB Races...

Last entry I talked about hanging up the mtb and heading off to Tulsa for the TTough, but things didn't work out that way so I jumped to plan 'B' - one more mtb event and the Missouri State MTB Champs (not confused with the week prior MO State SS Champs as it's a separate event) in Warsaw, MO at the Down-n-Dirty event.  Little bummed to miss TT, but with all things 'off-season' you just roll with it and move on to something else.

Temps were expected near 90* with a bit of humidity in the forecast and they didn't miss it by much.  Got to the venue Sunday mid-morning and it was already a little warm.  I've raced at Warsaw a handful of times and didn't need a warm-up loop as it's pretty straight forward: fast, rocky, dry/loose, rocky, not much elevation, rocky, but most of all fun every time.  Mac and his crew put a lot of effort into their events and this one didn't disappoint.


Debated between marathon, SS, or Cat 1 Masters, but with the temps on the rise and my history of melting in the heat (heat injury in 2008 in NE adventure race still lingers), I figured the shorter the better so it was SS class this time around.  The loop was around 8 or so miles and SS was doing 2 with the Cat 1's doing 3.  After a quick 20 minute warmup it was time to toe the line. 

Start of the SS Class

Not a big field for SS, but definitely quality.  Right off the start I am sitting around 5th or so and within a couple miles moved into 3rd with 2nd in sight for most all the lap (just couldn't reach him).  Pretty routine layout for Warsaw and it was moving along pretty fast, but with every effort I was noticing my HR took longer to drop and my body temp was causing me a little concern.  I made a decision early into lap 2 to keep a steady pace, not kill it keeping my efforts limited, and hopefully not 'melt'.  This was working out until about a 1/3 of the lap to go I was caught by Dan Fuhrman (solid SS'er) dropping me to 4th.  I stayed close to him for some time, but was above my 'heat' comfort level so I let him go.  At the end he finished less than 15seconds in front of me (couldn't tell until the very end as the woods were thick) for 3rd (I was 4th) which was kind of a bummer, but I rode decent for the temps of the day. 

Cleaned up and headed home for a fun afternoon with the crew.

So, looks like a down/easy week, the Mercy/Kuat Waffle training race next Tuesday, then off to the Tour of KC.  That's the plan, but that obviously changes for minute to minute....  I can say with confidence though that the mtb is hung up for the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment