Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Dogfish Hermann 'Cross

 
And so it has started...

Drove up to Hermann with Dale and Nate late-morning and upon arrival set up our mini compound (nothing like the northern MWI boys and girls do it) on the course.  Between Dale's trailer and the always appreciated support from KUAT (supplied canopy) it was a solid home for the next two days.

Side note:  Check out the new ...kuat.. TRIO and the much anticipated Vagabond Skinny (releasing soon).  Quality products from quality folks

 
 
Had plenty of time to pre-ride the course and it was a typical setup for Hermann with lots of twists, stairs (although not to the top this year) and plenty of open area for full throttle suffering.  Caught up with several folks I hadn't seen in some time which was great.
 
Nate had the first race of our group and placed really well in the 4/5 event (I think top 10).  Dale was up next in the Masters 50+ and had a great showing in a fast field.
 
Finally it was time for the Open race (start time 9pm under the lights).  Think there were 40 or so starters in a fast field.  I was anxious to see how my legs/lungs would go since it had been a while since in a race situation, but I found myself simply excited to finally be back on a start line since missing the majority of last year.  I was smiling ear to ear... until the start and it quickly turned to the 'pain face'!  Had a decent start but as the race went on I had no zip/punch in the legs to go with folks when the pace was increased (especially in the open fields).  I was driving pretty good and the Blue with Clement MXPs were spot on, just no pop.  Finished 18th and considering I felt pretty flat I was decently satisfied. 
 
After some chow and conversation it was lights out.
 
Sunday I decided to switch up to the Masters 40+ as it started 2 hrs before the Open and that would get all of us home much earlier. 
 
Nate was first again in the 4/5 and finished top 10 again.  Dale raced at the same time as I so I didn't get to cheer him on until it was over.
 
Small field in the 40+ with a great group of guys.  From the onset I knew I had pretty good race legs so after jumping to a gap after the first lap I settled in with the lead group until 5 laps to go (20-23 minutes).  I put in a good effort quickly building a decent gap which I held to the finish.  Felt like I raced Sunday and rode around on Saturday.
 
Packed up, gave Jeff and crew props and headed home.  SO FREAKING GLAD TO BE BACK RACING 'CROSS!!!!



 
 

Deb and I head out Thursday evening for Waterloo, WI (Madison area) for two days of TrekCXC.  Looking forward to seeing most of the MWI crew and racing a new venue/course.



No comments:

Post a Comment