Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Penn Valley Cross


After taking last weekend off from racing I was already itching to toe a line and get it going again and KC was having a full weekend with races on Saturday and Sunday.  While I was planning to stay overnight in KC Dale was interested in Saturday only so I opted to drive up and back with him on Saturday and then drive back up on Sunday (after all, it's local racing for us and only a 2hr drive one way).
 
Got to the venue at Penn Valley Park, located in what I call mid-town, with plenty of time to register and warm up.  Surveyed the course and it is a hilly son of a gun.  Super short loop that has you either climbing or descending and both are at the end of a ton of 180*s and two creek crossing (one potentially rideable) were the only dismounts.
 
So warm ups turned out to be non-existent as registration was running behind and the course was being finished off pretty much as the Masters (my first race) were lining up.  I get pre-ride one lap prior to the start, but for whatever reason I was not prepared/warmed up leading into the start.
 
Start was pretty sluggish as maybe folks were not willing to burn candles early on the 'hill repeat' course and this was fine with me as it took a couple laps to actually 'warm up' and have the legs open in a pretty light Masters field.  By that time I increased the tempo on the climbs and opened a significant gap and held it comfortably for the win.  Tough loop as it was a constant sprint up a climb, shoot back straight down into sharp turns to do it again.  Truly a 45 minute hill repeat workout.  Rode the 2nd creek crossing three or four times, but stopped that (opting to run them) after bottoming out each time hard on rocks under the water (little slower, but the risk/reward was worth it).
 
 ***All below pictures from Roger Harrison; click here to check out his handy work***
 
First race in the Air Attack and I liked it plenty.
 Good 'winter' helmet
 
 
Cool overlook of downtown from the venue. 
Kuat NV as usual!

Course had a couple dicey off-camber 180s; drive that bike son!
 


Cooled down a bit, kicked back for a couple hours, and jump in the Open race.  Not hearing the greatest things about the following day's course I opted for the 'daily double' and decided to not make the Sunday drive to KC. 

Small (have no idea where folks were) group lined up for the Open and although I actually got in a warm up for this race I knew I would need to meter my efforts early to make the hour race since I was still feeling the Masters efforts from earlier.  First lap I was floating along in 7th and little by little started increasing the efforts and before you know it I was in 3rd with 1st long gone (nice work Travis) and 2nd not too far ahead, but enough contact was not obtainable.  Ended with a healthy gap on 4th place.  Felt really good the longer the race went, but by the end the ol' legs were pretty cooked.  Like how it all went, but always leave the 'double up' wishing I would have made a better effort earlier in the 2nd race to get closer to the front group, but it is what it is...


Temps for both races were great
Closing in...
 
Mid-race Britton and I working a handful of laps together


Course was pretty dry overall and the Clement MXP's were spot on digging out of what felt like a million high speed 180s.  Can't say enough how I love the fit and feel of my Blue Norcross SL.

Skipping Sunday's race turned out great on the training and homefront as many positive things were accomplished on and off the bike.  Really happy with my fitness right now.

So it's one to go (one to go, one to go) for my 'cross season with the Missouri State race this Sunday in STL.  Never been to or raced the St. Vincent venue, but from how folks are describing it I think it will be a blast.  Weather forecast has the temps for STL in the 20's with snow and rain for a couple days leading up to Sunday and 30* is the high (18* overnight low) and with the Masters going to 10am it will be chilly).  I will take whatever comes our way, but deep down inside I would love a slop/mud fest with as many opportunities of forced dismounts as possible.  Have no idea what the Masters field will look like (how many from KC will make the trip), but always fun to visit and race with STL folks as I don't run across them too often during my season.  No Nationals for me this year as Boulder's elevation and training thru Christmas and New Years is simply not appealing to me.  Next year in Austin, TX is golden!

Sunday's race will be fun I am sure, but what I am really stoked about is right after the race Deb and I are hopping a flight to Miami, FL and from there a week cruise to some sunny (and warm) beaches in the Caribbean (similar to what we did in 2011).  Love our winter get-a-ways! 

No comments:

Post a Comment