Monday, April 14, 2014

April Means...

Time to pin some numbers on here and there and actually ride with a little focus.

For me this is the time of year when I start looking for a handful of 3+ mtb races in order to get some good base miles while working to improve bike handling.  Once again I am riding the 30lbs (I have no idea, just feels that way compared to what I see around the start lines...) Trek Rig in full single speed mode.  Every year I think I should get something sexy and maybe even with gears then I go ride/race, have tons of fun on the 'girlfriend' I got, and simply pedal.

Up first was last weekend's Feel The Burn endurance race in Warsaw, MO.  Race was 40+ miles and going into it I knew my legs had around 3hrs of solid riding and on top of that I really needed to get back home early on race day.  So, after 3 laps and just a hair under 3 hrs I pulled up the officials and told them I was out and heading home.  They let me know I was in 2nd place in the Cat 1 40+ class, but that was not of concern as I got a solid workout and was heading home.

Fun day, rough course, little muddy here and there with more climbing then I remembers from years before.  Big fans of Mac and his crew at Truman Lake Bikes.

Good turnout

It's hard to get a good spot into single track when the start
is on an open downhill and I was riding a SS (me in 2nd wheel)

 
 
 
Up next was this past weekend's Bone Bender in Lawrence, KS.  Not much elevation, but plenty of rocks and open asphalt (which the later is never fun on a SS).  Temps were warm, but overly hot and with a new 37 miles course (no longer 3hr/6hr) I was thankful for a light breeze and some cloud cover. 
 
Good attendance and great bunch of guys (and gals).  Chris Locke and crew do a great job on this and other events. 
 
Rode pretty well and by day's end I was 2nd in the SS class on 14th or 15th overall.  The kid who won the SS from Ethos is a brutal machine (very impressive).  Fun 3hr 23min day.
 
Loving the new 360 kit (and team)


G Hamilton (winner) is a monster on the SS
 
So after the race it was time to meet the 360 Racing team at a little 'kick off' shindig in KC.  Great bunch of folks and super stoked for the upcoming 'cross season, but in the meantime I'll look for some more mtb and a handful of road (no crits this year) races to build up some fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment