Monday, June 16, 2014

Single Speed Fun at Route 66 Rumble

 
So after last weekend's failed attempt at gear'ed mtb'ing (and I do realize it was probably a mechanic's error - that's me) in Warsaw I got things swapped by SS style for yesterday's Route 66 Rumble in St. James, MO.
 
I had raced the MO State SS Champs a here a couple years back and remembered it being a fun flowing place and I was right.  Got to the course and just a few sprinkles hit the ground, but that was it for the day; trail was super tacky and the temp was pretty decent. 
 
Course was not near the one from a couple years ago; this one was super flow, then technical rocks, then rough rocks, more flow, technical climbs via rocks/roots, more flow...  A great mix of everything, but not the super flow I was expecting
 
Got to the start line of the marathon class and found a good sized field with a couple fast guys from Team Seagal (both on SS's) and Mark Gullet from Kuat.  Start was an open gravel road that went for a good bit (slightly downhill) before hitting the single track.  Filed in 3rd and that lasted for most of the lap until the two Seagal guys slipped off in the woods and I would never see them close again (until the finish).  A rider and I gaped Mark and that would grow lap after lap (each was right around 30 minutes).  With a couple laps to go the guy I was with/near had a mechanical issue and I increased the pace and never saw him again.  The race was going really well (even having 2 significant crashes) until the last 1/2 lap.  Hit a rough rocky section and my fork blew (oil everywhere); not a huge deal as it was close to the finish and not overly rough.  Then out of nowhere I 'Lebron'ed It'; yep, huge left hamstring cramp!  Got off my bike for over two minutes working it out and getting it relaxed and mobile again.  Pedaled a bit one-legged until the left one was good to use again.  I soft pedaled in with just enough to get 3rd and hold off Mark as he finished 20 seconds or so back.  In total just a tad over 3hrs racing.

Had to get out quick as it was a good sized field on a downhill run off the start



 
 
 
 
Fun hard race and hopefully I will get the fork fixed in time to get a last mtb race (next weekend) of the season before 'cross training starts.  Been riding for fun and endurance and in two weeks I stop riding and start training.  Can't wait!
 
Below is a quick clip of Ian knocking down a couple free throws last Friday night.  I don't take many videos during his games as I am too busy 'watching' to deal with the distraction.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment