Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Pre-Season Week #2 - Wild Trak SuperPrestige

This past weekend continued a little build up to my 'cross season with a two day event in Alton, Il - Wild Trak SuperPrestige.  With Saturday's race starting at 5pm and just a little drive (4hrs) from home I was able to hop on the rollers for a bit and snag a great late breakfast with the family before heading out. 

Rolled up to the course a couple hours prior to race start which gave me a good opportunity to get in several laps and chat with some folks I hadn't seen in a while.  Course was set up great with some good elevation change, open power sections, and several requiring handling skills.  Temps were in the 70's, which was incredible, and with rain the day before the course was thick grass mostly (which was grippy with Clement PDX), but there were a handful of damp mud that kept you on guard.

Lined up with a solid Masters crew (20 seconds behind Open racers) and after one of my worst starts it wasn't long before I worked my way to the front and set a good pace.  Gaps opened quickly and after 60 minutes (rare for Masters) I won with a decent gap and actually finished 4th overall (to include Open).  I liked the 60 minute race as it was great training.  Fun and tough course that found me on my back (wrecking) twice.  First one was right in front of Scott Peipert who actually ran over my rear wheel (with no damage), but the second one was by far the best as I clipped something on a fast descent and went flying over the front of the bike.  Glad that one was in a wooded area and no one could see as I am sure I looked ridiculous. 

Doing some work early with Scott P

Always nice to snag an envelope
After the race I headed out to dinner with Scott P and his wife.  After that they were kind enough to put me up for the night - HUGE THANKS!

Sunday morning was awesome with temps in the low 60's.  Loaded up, headed to the course, changed up, and snagged a good hour road ride around Alton to loosen up the legs.  Switched up wheels and hit the course a couple times and found it the exact same as the day prior (except it was drier and fast).  Hung out and watched a couple race while chatting with folks until it was time to go. 

With a drier course I chose the Clement MXPs which were spot on.  Masters field increased in size and quality for Sunday with most notable the presence of 'The Killer' Tim K.  Last time we raced was when he snapped his ankle at the State race so I was looking forward to chasing him.

Race took off (we were 20 seconds behind the Open field) and as I expected Tim jumped to the lead and I was getting ready to settle in behind when a couple guys jammed me up in the 1st 180 turn and I dropped back a handful of places.  Watched Tim opening a gap, but didn't panic and about 1/4 way into the first lap I made contact with him and went to work increasing the pace.  Before I knew it a decent gap opened and I started pulling in several Open riders.  By the end I took the W with a decent gap and finished 4th overall (that includes the Open racers). 



Tim K putting in the early effort; fun chasing a fast guy

 
I will insert something here:  I rarely meet Masters racers who are not super cool and nice, but then there is Tim K (who I have only met a handful of times)...  This guy exceeds all and it appears no matter what comes his way on and off the course he is a super positive guy with a constant smile on his face and good words to say.  Looking forward to getting to know him better and if you haven't met him it's your loss. 

Good weekend of training/racing.  Hopped in the car and 4 hrs later was home playing with the boys. 

Next weekend is the season opener for most at Dogfish Cross in Hermann; a Missouri staple on any 'cross racers calendar.  Jeff and crew do a great job on not only solid courses, but great overall venue/event.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work John! Wish I could have been there to catch up. Good luck at Hermann!

    ReplyDelete