Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Wedding Weekend and Timely Sickness


This past weekend the plan was to attend my niece's wedding Saturday evening then high tail it to STL for Sunday's Gateway Cross Cup (masters and open).  Plans are necessary and good, but being flexible when plans go sideways is the key to keeping sain; this said my plans changed...
 
After Sunday's Joules Cross race I woke late at night with an odd stomach pain (and regular stuff that accompanies a bug) and it didn't stop until Thursday afternoon.  During this I lost a good amount of weight (dehydrated and zero appetite) and had no energy.  Made the quick decision to skip Gateway no matter how I ended up feeling Sunday and focus on getting fully healthy for Cincy3 (this weekend).  Flexible.
 
Hopped on the trainer a little Friday along with played some ball at noon; felt better but weakfish.
 
Saturday I rolled three hours on the mtb at Sac River and by the end I was back to feeling regular.
 
Saturday afternoon we headed to my brother's daughter's wedding which was a great evening.  Lots of fun and a beautiful event for two youngsters who love each other very much.  Jake and Ian were ushers and Darion was the ring bearer (all did a great job).  Once the reception was over it was clean up time and after a lot of friends and family pitching in it went pretty quickly and was home a little after midnight.  
 
I love this girl
Jake and Ian were ushers and Darion was the Ring Bearer
Jake and Marisa had a fun evening
My older boys with my wonderful Grandma Smith


Sunday morning Jim (my brother) and I headed back to the wedding site to finish the clean up.  It was a clear warmish morning and it was just he and I.  It was a great morning and one that made me not miss racing my bike one bit.  Hard to explain enjoying cleaning up and working, but I love my brother like a brother and a friend and I liked it being just he and I.  Got home around noon, picked up tons of walnuts with the boys then got on the bike for a solid high effort workout for a couple hours.  Totally recovered and looking forward to Cincy.

The timing of the stomach bug was pretty good and didn't really impact much so dodged a good one (knock on wood) unlike last year when I got sick and off the bike for 10 days smack in the prime of the season. 

Heading out Thursday with Jay Strothman and his crew for three solid days of racing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment