Friday, June 11, 2010

Back in the Flow

So I have adapted back to non-vacation life and tried to find my cycling legs again along with a regular sleep pattern (is there a fiber product for this????).

Monday after work Dale and I knocked out a steady 2hr tempo over some hilly terrain and I was quasi dragging butt (totally expected). The evening for us included playing some catch and batting with Ian and harvesting some produce from the garden. My evening snack included a nice mix of blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries (not from garden) and later a nice spinach salad (tomatoes, onion, cilantro and raspberry vinaigrette - YUM!). Sadly the strawberries are gone for the season, but the blackberries are just coming on. Numerous games of Catan was played and Jake didn't get a single 'W' all night (awesome).


Ian is in BIS Summer School during the mornings (for a couple weeks) and Vacation Bible School all this week so he is pretty whipped once he makes it home (usually around 6pm).

Jake is still feeling the effects of the plerisy and holding off running although he makes it everyday to summer 'practice' at 6:15am Monday thru Friday. He incorporated a CrossFit strength program at his high school three days a week and the coaches (mostly football) were super to taylor his program toward running strength and not the 'football' type. He laughs at the lack of brute strength, but understands a bully would never be able to catch him if an incident arrised (HA!).
Tuesday I slept in (still tired from vacation) and skipped an early morning ride in exchange for some basketball at noon (light interval type workout). Left work a little early for Ian's ball games in SGF. They won both games and now are 17-2 (lost 2 games while Ian was on vacation). Celtics/Lakers took up the rest of the evening once home.

Wednesday I headed out on the bike afterwork for a couple hours and got in a monster interval workout (6 x 8:15min on a tough hilly course). I limped home as this was one of the hardest I have done all year (sadly showed me how far behind I am).

Thursday I played laced up the sneaks for basketball at noon. Caught Ian's VBS singing program (cowboy theme) after work and then ended up playing a ton of ball with Ian after work while Deb and Marla got in a great ride (they are quite the good buddies). Caught the Lakers/Celtics game with Ian since he didn't have to get up early for summer school (Friday's are off-days). The b-ball series is turning into a good one; not really a fan of either, but I am leaning toward the green.


Friday morning Dale and I found ourselves hitting the Polk County dirt/gravel at 6am. While the breeze and coolness of the morning kept the temps decent it was MUGGY out there. We ended up with 3hrs of 'cross riding some of our favorite roads.

Played an hour of ball at noon as they had a new recruit in at SBU and I just couldn't pass up an upbeat session with quality players...

Not a lot on tap for this weekend (recovery mode still from being gone the past two weekends) as I opted to not race mtb's at Castlewood (state champs) as I played around on the mtb earlier this week and big hits/shocks are still sending a twinge of sting up to my elbow. Better to let it heal proper and be fully functional for 'cross in a handful of months (big smile). Thinking about heading to Pittsburg, KS (just a couple hr drive) on Sunday for a crit, but will have to play it by ear. Next weekend we head to STL to take in a Cards game with the boys and I plan to hit the Babler circuit race as its just a couple minutes from my sister-in-laws casa. Gotta get SOME speed work in before getting my butt handed to me at the BreakThrough crits in KC at the end of June (BTW these are great races at super venues).

No comments:

Post a Comment