Monday, June 28, 2010

Race Weekend in a Sauna

After several years of training/racing you figure out what type of weather, race course... suits you and what doesn't and for me it is obvious I am not a climber (power or long type) and that I absolutely melt in heat. I think this is a result of a heat injury I got in Nebraska a handful of years ago AR'ing as I've never been quite able to deal with heat/humidity since then. So I reference that to lead into my race weekend (hot and humid both days and a bit of climbing Saturday), but I do like crits and circuit racing and especially since I am starting so late and playing catch up.]
.

Friday around noon I loaded up the Durango and headed to KC. Needed to replace a day-pack so I hit a couple local outdoors shops before heading over the Longview Jr. College crit course. Ended up getting an Osprey pack which comes with a 'doesn't-matter-what-happens-to-it full warranty (sale person said I could cut it up on purpose and they would still replace it with no questions) - interesting concept and honestly and selling point that made me buy it over a Black Diamond. Enough of that...
.

Showed up to the course and while unloading immediately noticed the 93* (with a 103 or so heat index) while chatting with some guys I hadn't seen since 'cross last year. Did I mention I suck in the heat... The goal for the day is to hide out as much as possible and simply try to finish with the leaders (it's what I did last year so let's do it again). I knew I lacked any type of spring or punch in my legs for visions of winning or finishing high so needed to be realistic.




Took 3 warm up loops and already was streaming sweat. Caught up with Craig just before heading to the start. Not sure how many lined up, but would estimate 40 or so. The race was pretty calm for the most part and didn't have to dig real deep to many times to stay with the leaders, but definitely didn't have the punch or top end to take any turns up front; stayed nice and hidden as long as I could. The event was more of a race of attrition than attacks on the front (although there were some solo efforts) and on the last lap I found myself with a small group of others chasing one who got away (and went on to solo win). There is a smallish climb (short and not terribly steep, but enough to hurt) just before the right hander to a 2oo meter finish and on the last lap that's when my body said "close enough" and shut down; I watched the group sprint for the finish as I soft pedaled in (15th place). Mission accomplished for day 1 as I stayed with the front and didn't suffer too much in the heat. It was pretty brutal under the sun for the 45 minutes and I wasn't looking forward to tomorrow's mid-day race, but being my first race of '10 my moral got a good boost - nothing incredible, but solid.




Pics from Lyle Reynolds


On my cool down laps I talked one of the families watching the race (one the southeast corner of the loop) to bring out their sprayer for the next races and also took advantage of a quick cooling off under the hose myself - that felt incredible and got me back in check quickly. Kicked back with Craig for the rest of the evening at a local pizza joint on the northeast corner of the course watching the action.





Crashed at Craig's casa for the night (thanks, bro) and Saturday morning I snagged a little breakfast before heading just off downtown to Cliff Drive for day 2.
.

Got to the course a couple hours before the start, chatted with a couple folks who gave their advice/opinion of the course, then gave it a ride about 30 minutes before my start at 12pm. First impressions were "uh oh, I am going to get shelled quick" as there was one tough climb and then a longer but no as steep deceptive one that drained on my more. The temp was already in the upper 90's and shooting the heat index way over 100; once again I was streaming just from warm ups. Saturday's goal was stay with leaders for 4 of the 7 laps and then try not to get lapped. 65 or so started and immediately I tried to stay no further than 20 spots from the front; work it on the climbs, but never go into the red until the final laps if necessary. So as the laps started ticking off and I kept in there my moral started to grow. Every time we hit the 2nd climb I limited my efforts to simply stay in contact with the group and keep enough in reserve to not get popped. This worked pretty well until I started feeling the heat simply shred me down and on the 6th lap (1st climb) I let a small gap open and then had to bury it to close it up before the 2nd and that put me over the top; lost a little contact (but not bad) over the top, but had no punch to drive it back to the leaders and it was over - 6 laps completed then popped with 1 to go (bummer, but better than I expected). Rolled across the finish with a couple others to net 26th. My temperature gauge was blown... (Hopefully will find some Cliff Drive pictures soon and will post)
.

After crossing the line I made two stops immediately - 1) cold water coolers the promoters put out at the start/finish area and 2) the fountain pictured below just a 100 meters or so from the same point. It was pure bliss standing and cooling off for several minutes; seemed a popular place for many racers after the event.





For me it was two solid days of getting the race feeling back and measure of my fitness. Definetly behind were I was last year, but that was expected as I am starting a couple months behind what is normal. Usually I am starting to wind down (dodging the heat and humidity), but I am just starting to wind it up now; will be interesting to see how I do in July as I have a couple crits/circuits races I plan to hit.
.

Stuck around a while (in the shade) and watched the 3's and Pro/1/2 events. Impressive how good these guys are.
.

Chatted a bit with Tilford (about a mutual friend in TX) and he brought up the amazing number that over 1,300 viewers clicked on an image of his recent blood test and it was mind boggling to him (and me) the interests when he didn't even know what the numbers meant himself. Much like following LA's twitter, my interest in ST's blog is how one day they are in place X and the next day they are half way across the country (for LA it's the world) either racing or catching up with some legendary athlete like it's pretty routine (which it is for them). I like ST observations of things as here is a guy who has done, seen, and experienced it all in cycling and it about as down to earth about it as one could be; not to mention Trudy and her travels/job with BMC...

.
Same 18yr old kid from SGF won both days of my races riding away from everyone easily. Austin Vinton is his name and he just started racing a couple months ago. Watch out for this kid as he is super strong (won the Waffle Training race in SGF a couple weeks ago) and the best part is he is super nice and has no (at least not yet) elitest attitude of some many others. I noticed the St John's crew kitted him up for Cliff Drive and have taken him into the Springfield Mafia fold.
.
Uneventful drive home which, as always, included the H1N1 Factory Outlet (Osceola Cheese) as ScottyD likes to call it (and I agree). Picked up some 'extra hot' salami cheese and of course didn't leave without stocking up on the HOT pickles - family favorite (ok, mostly the boys and I).





Rest of the evening was pretty routine with a little ball playing in the backyard, minimal yard work, and Catan. Looked over Jake's senior picture proofs and there are a ton from which to narrow. Funny how Deb keeps diverting my attention when I ask anything related to price...

.
Sunday morning set the standard for which the day was measured - we slept in late. After church and Mexican food we all spent pretty much the day laid out in our room watching World Cup and then 6hrs straight of Band of Brothers (incredible no matter how many times I watch it) with a little bit of movement now and then. Everyone commented at some point how nice it was to have absolutely nothing to do and stick to that plan.


.Looking for get some decent riding in this week and trek over to Lawrence this Saturday for a circuit race on KU's campus. The temps are forecasted cooler then this past weekend, but the course if a tough one with lots o' climbing. Ian's last regular season game is tomorrow night and then it's one tournament on the 9th, 10th, and 11th and it's a wrap on baseball.
.

TdF kicks off this weekend and looking forward to the action. Liked seeing Devolder back in the Black, Yellow, and Red as he is a favorite of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment