Sunday, October 3, 2010

Boss Cross 1 & 2

That was a fun and tiring weekend as Boss Cross 1 & 2 are in the books.

Since I decided to skip the masters races at 11am and just do the Cat 3 at 2pm I was able to not rush around Saturday morning too much before heading out. Tough weekend to be away as Ian had a couple soccer games late Saturday morning and Jake was running his first XC meet in over a month (more on both later). Easy drive up to KC to the EH Young Park just north of downtown to what is now one of my favorite courses; good combination of tight and twisty along with good open pedaling sections and two dismounts Saturday and three Sunday.

I really look forward to the 'cross weekends as it's good to see fellow racers with whom you develop relationships with over a couple hours on the weekends. Got to meet the much better half of the Yielding crew (sorry Jeff, but it's true), JB, hear about some Wisco action from AC, get to know Peter Krause a little, Josh Taylor, and of course the Crust.

Took a couple warm up laps and decided against the file treads in exchange for Hutchinson Piranhas (which hooked up nicely) as there were just a couple corners that at high speed would have given me some fits; a couple more practice sessions on the XS's and I'll give them a roll. The course had a little of everything with a couple sand sections (one ride-able and the other not), two barrier dismounts (one on a hill the other flat out speed), open pedaling sections and lots of turns at various tightness - I liked it. The temps for both days were spot on cool enough for the LS kits.

Before our race I got a chance to watch Dale ripping it up in the Cat 4 40+ race in which he won and donned the 'General Lee' jersey; so happy for him.

Time to toe the line in the 3's which we started 30 seconds behind the Open/Elite and all of us were going for an hour (usual 3's race is 45-50 minutes). Being a longer race conservation was important early. Got a decent start and quickly got into a flow with a couple guys (Peter Krause - a KC resident attending MSU in SGF and a Corlavita rider) in chase of a solo Slimen guy (Ty Henson) who slid off the front with a pretty big gap. I did quite a bit of work (without going into the red) on the first three laps while the other two set in so I after a bit I slid to the back and let them set the pace. The Corlavita guy did tons of work in the middle laps as Henson still was hanging out there. At around 40 minutes Peter took over some pace making and I quickly lent him a hand and we worked really well together and soon Henson was coming back. With three or four laps to go the Corlavita guy had a mechanical so Peter and I upped the pace and with two to go we caught Henson, who latched on the back of us. We kept the pace high and got a little gap on Ty with one to go. I thing Peter was thinking about the finish and backed off a tad on the first part of the lap so I went to the front and upped the pace to keep a gap on Henson figuring this was setting Peter up, but would rather fight just one for the finish instead of two. Sure enough Henson was gapped, Peter beat me to the last 180* corner, and with less than 50 feet to the finish followed in behind his wheel for 2nd. We ended up catching a 1/3 of the Open field during our race and the gap was pretty huge for the front four of us over the rest of the field (time to move up...).

That was the best work with another rider (Peter) I've ever done in a 'cross race and it benefited both of us tons and made it super fun. He rode really solid and deserved the win and the 'General Lee' jersey. Fun for an 'old guy' such as I to race with a kid 1/2 my age. The Blue was solid all day and the tire pick/pressure was spot on. Before the season I picked up some FSA Carbon wing bars from ScottyD and I can't believe the difference they make when pressure is applied; no flex and it feels solid straight to the pedals. Additionally, I like the position in which it puts my hands when on the hoods - comfy. On a side note: I'm digging the new kits, but like the SS's better.

Crusty was having a solid day and nabbed 8th. He really liked the course and benefited from the twisties.




After the race it was to Crusty's house for the evening. Crusty's 'The Boss' made an incredible chicken chili and cornbread for us and then topped off the evening with a homemade apple crisp (super yum). Many laughs were had as Crusty recapped his Wisco weekend including his 'euro accent' of his talking to the Euros. We stayed up as long as we could (11pm) watching the World Champs in Australia, but couldn't stay up the additional 2hrs to catch the finish (turns out an exciting finale as we watched the recap the next morning). TH is a worthy champion and he will represent it well I am sure.

After a solid night's sleep it was time to pull on some big boy pants and line up with the Open/Elites - ugh. Got to the course and found they reversed the flow and threw the start and barriers in different places and extended the sand/beach area by the river (rideable for only a select few - not me). Couple warm up laps and decided to go with file tread in the rear and Piranha up front. Really liked the flow of Sunday's course.




Ira made the trip up (with the Brown crew) and Dale came back for another day since he needed to defend the General Lee. Both rode well and with a couple to go in Ira's race (he was sitting in 2nd) I noticed he slowed up and a handful of folks were passing him. I was doing some warm up near the course and quickly made my way to the pit area and happen to leave my rig on the rack and as luck would had it he had a pit bike to finish up his race. He and I ride practically the same set up so I knew it would work. He was able to recoup a couple places and finish 5th. Dale had a little tougher day than Saturday finishing 5th, but getting to keep his jersey as the points leader. Sadly noticed afterwards Crusty was in street clothes and not kitted up... what gives, its race day and not spectator hour - perfect time to deposit something in the bank.




Snagged some last minute warm ups and to the line. Taking my rightful place (in the rear) as the new guy I get what seems a decent start, but these guys are just flying away from me and at the end of lap 1 I am in dead last - DEAD LAST wondering why did I move up?!?!?!?! I quickly regrouped and told myself to ride hard and steady and my fitness would catch me up to some of the others. Long story short, I started reeling in one after another and 1/2 thru I caught Josh Taylor and worked a handful of laps together bringing in some riders to include Luke of KCCX with just a couple to go. As soon as we made contact with him I put in a solid long effort and gapped both he and Josh and kept it going until the end for 11th. I know I have no chance of every being in the 'mix' up front, but I was pretty stoked to finish that well for my first rodeo. The longer training sessions (a minimum of 1:30hrs continuous per) really paid off and I felt I actually rode my fastest laps in the second half and was able to push all the way to the end (except for bobbles on the last two loops thru the volleyball sandpit - which never where too bad). Bike handling is way better than ever which is good to see as I have concentrated on it plenty pre-season. Now to work on some faster starts...

It was fun hearing the B-town rejects, Crusty, and Mike G (can't believe he opted for the masters) cheering me on.


Above pictures from Mrs Taylor, JY, Keith Walberg, Roger H, and Crusty

On the way out of town I stopped off with the Brown clan (not usually two words you see together) for some snacks at Gates. Needless to say feeding 4 kids under the age of 7 is quite a task (and entertaining). Grabbed a slab for the boys to go and on the road for an uneventful drive south.

The evening was pretty laid back with just a couple tasks to complete; always good to come home to the boys and Deb. By nightfall I was ready to hit the sack and rest some tired legs.

Ian had two soccer games Saturday morning and they won both (still undefeated) with Ian scoring a goal in the second game. He is having fun, but is ready for basketball to start (as am I). Lucky for him I start up our team for practice tomorrow night with games starting in three weeks.

Jake returned to running at a small local meet Saturday late morning and although he ran a 17:32 (on what is thought to be a short course) and got 7th (last year he won by over a minute) he labored horribly according to Deb (she gave me play by play while I was driving) and his lungs are still hurting abnormally today. He says he doesn't care how slow he runs he owes it to his teammates to keep plugging away so that's what he is doing. I trust coach's decisions and judgement and he is up at another meet on Thursday (Buffalo). He has one month until districts so it will be interesting to see if he continues with the pain or if it subsides. Deb said she has never seen him suffer so badly during a race.

My weekend race plans is Cross Out Cancer in Shawnee Mission (KC area) on Sunday as they have a 2/3 race (50 minute).

1 comment: