Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Two Weekend Update

I have slacked on keeping his updated so here is a couple of weekends and last week in a nutshell...

Saturday morning Deb and I were up earlier than wanted dropping Ian off at a math competition at SBU. He is in an accelerated math program and was looking forward to what turns out to be a hugely attended event. Deb took him in to meet up with his school's contacts and when she came out she was laughing pretty hard... apparently when they walked into the main lobby area Ian said (out loud) "Hey, why is everyone Chinese?" Valid question and one our country's education system should address. Deb said over 70% of the competitors were either Asian or Indian.

Deb and I then grabbed our Saturday routine of breakfast at Brenda's before I dropped her back off at the competition and I hit the trainer. The roads were starting to clear up some, but still mostly snow/ice packed in and outside of Bolivar. After 1.5hrs of trainer time I said screw it and hopped on the 29er for a 'core' session outside. I referenced 'core' due to the massive body movements required to stay upright on such slick surfaces. The temps weren't too bad and I decided Sunday was fully dedicated to outside riding.



While I was out riding Deb returned with Ian (he got 5th in concepts and 9th in problem solving) and started working on a snow fort. Turns out Deb did most of the work while Ian (self designated designer) oversaw operations.


Sunday morning started with catching some Euro 'cross before heading to church. After church and a bite to eat I met up with Dale and we knocked out 2:45hrs of mtb'ing on the backroads of Polk County south around Morrisville. The warmth started melting the snowpack which made climbing and descending quite a chore with some funny slip'n'slide moments. Pulled up to the house to find Jake shovel'ed out his truck (monumental task as it was buried) and Deb and Ian were adding more to the snow fort.

After cleaning up my Deb, Ian, and I headed to some friends casa for the Super Bowl. Jake opted to watch with his friends at a different location. Good friends, football game, and most importantly FOOD!

Hit the gym early Monday for a strength workout and followed it up with some basketball at noon.

Ian's b-ball team (the one I coach) started a new 10 game session at a local sports facility (Rock Solid) and they won by 20 some odd points (even after I told them to quite scoring so much). This league is not as competitive as The Courts so we are using it as a 'practice' session.

Monday around midnight I woke up with some type of flu bug and ended up sleeping on the coach as to not expose Deb too much. This morning I still felt like crap, but I decided to come into the office this afternoon and I feel much better. Need to shed anything that might keep me from killing it this weekend in the forecasted 50* temps.

Tuesday I hung out at the house until noon when my stomach started feeling 1/2 way 'normal'. I felt much better as the day went along, so that evening Deb, Ian, and I went to an SBU basketball game wherein E-ball got to be a ball boy; he loved it!

It was lightly snowing when we went into the ball game and snowing a ton when we came out. Here we go again...

Wednesday morning around 4" of snow accumulated on top of the bunch still left from last week's dumping. Along with new snow was a significant plunge in the temps. School was out for the boys so Ian and I hit SBU for 1 1/2hrs of basketball. Later that night I jumped on the trainer and caught the Duke .vs. UNC game with Ian while Deb and Jake worked out at the gym.

Speaking of Jake, answer to many prayers has him back to running (lightly) with no pain in his chest. He says he feels back to normal and is looking to kill it on the track this spring. It is so good to see him healthy

Thursday I spent some time on the rollers at lunch and that evening Deb and I knocked out another 3 hour session of foster/adoption training. Good material made for a quick night.

Friday was an 'off' day and not much happened until 9:30pm when Ian's crew played at The Courts. It was the best our team had played (as a team) and lost to the only undefeated team on a shot with no time left... ARGGGG; second week in a row. So happy with how the boys are playing.

Saturday morning I caught the last of the Super Prestige races then the whole crew got up for breakfast at Benda's. Jake was particularly entertaining explaining his life goal of becoming a space craft captain (not to be confused as he pointed out being a star ship captain - entirely two different things).

Back to the casa and out on the road for a ride in balmy temps (mid-40's). Roads were all pretty clear except for going thru Morrisville (from the south) where the roads were still snow packed. I know you're a small town, but come on M'ville! Ended up with 3:15hrs on some hilly roads. Rolled up to the house to see Deb and Ian trying to salvage what was left of the 'fort' and also working on a new snowman...

Got cleaned up and we were off to an afternoon SBU ball game and watched the Bearcats get beat on. Deb and I got in some racquetball that evening before calling it quits for the day.

Sunday morning was church followed up with lunch at Bolivar's new 'wing' eatery (Mister Wings) then off for another ride. Headed off to Stockton Lake, Bona, Dadeville, Morrisville, over to 'old' Hwy 13, then home. Probably my last ride with 'cross gearing (42 single ring up front) as the climb up Bona and a handful of others were killing me and a lighter gearing was needed so on with the road rings this week. Ended up with 3:20hrs for the day in some mid-50* temps - finally!

***View from top of Bona Hill, which is a 20%+ climb, sample of 'flat roads' in Polk County***

The above picture (doesn't do it justice) is one of the coolest trees and I stop and check it out every time ride by it (between Dadeville and Eudora); about 90% of the base is 'open air'/unsupported above a creek, but it keeps growing.

Practice with Ian's ball team and then back home for a relaxing evening.

Lots of riding planned this week taking advantage of the forecasted temps in the 60*'s!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment