Friday, July 8, 2011

Routine Days... Breath in Breath out, Repeat

Not a ton going down on the home front; training is going super good, the kids are all good, and outside of my lawn drying up all is going good.

Ended my 2nd week of building base for 'cross with 10 more to go. Feeling fresh and the gym sessions have me (at least mentally) feeling sharp. Getting in a lot of AM rides to avoid my arch nemesis 'heat and humidity' which is allowing me to focus on the work to be done instead of surviving.

Sunday morning was a good 3hr early AM road ride, but by it's end (at 9:15am) I had all the heat I wanted.

Would have liked to race the local mtb OMBA at Sac Trails yesterday, but the heat index was well over 100* so I passed. I've ridden the new course (5.5miles) a couple different days (this morning being the latest) and it's really fun, fast, and not your typical 'Sac' rough surfaces. After volunteering and watching the racer's faces I'm happy with my decision as I don't want another heat injury like I had a couple years back (now it's tough to shake).

Tour DAY France has been interesting and hated to see Horner get knocked out and not really sure for whom I am rooting. Levi, well what can you say about him... when he is on the TdF roster the DS might as well plan on racing with 8 guys; not a fan. Nutty watching 'the arrow' and Johnny H get destroyed by a car and one of them ending up in a fence. Reminds me of a mtb race in Germany when I overshot a corner and ended up in an electric fence - took a bit to get out and the whole time I was on 'electric' fire! AC looks like a guy off of 'spanish meat' while Evans looks impressive. Looking forward to the mountains. Ian watches everyday and calls me at work when the leaders are within 5k to go over play by play. He's a Cav & Thor fan.

Speaking of the youngster, he finished up baseball last Friday night and his group ended up 15-7. He had a ton of fun, but is thankful it's over and much closer to basketball season. He is at the Anthony Tolliver (Minn Timberwolves pro) basketball camp with some buddies this week at the Courts. He is loving that. Funny deal - the high school coach called me the other day and asked if Ian could play in a three day 'shootout' jr. high (7/8th graders and Ian's in 5th grade) tourney. He's played two games so far and has played more than he's sit; not scoring much, but doing the fundamental things that keep him on the floor. He is 2/3 the size of these guys but it doesn't shake him much. The below is him (little guy in the background in a red shirt) at a shoot around with the jr. high guys:


Jake is working like a Jamaican (multiple jobs) splitting his time between DQ and BASE (youth day program). He says the days are long, but he is liking finally having some change in his pocket. He's having a fun summer hanging out nightly with a bunch of friends.

On the subject of summer fun with Jake, he is heading to LA with my brother for a handful of days; Jim has work and thought Jake might like to hang out with him for a bit. Jake jumped at it and turns out I am going to fly out, spend a day hitting LA with him, taking in a Dodgers game with he and Jim, then the three of us are driving to Zion National Park for a couple days of backpacking before going to Vegas for a couple days. Should be really fun.

Not much going on with the little guy as he is still getting to know us and visa versa. Lots of energy in that little body!

Been pretty dry (rain wise) lately and my lawn in hanging on for dear life. Watering the garden and plants regularly and they look great. The garden is pumping out the goodies daily and dinner usually includes some kind of the day's pull.

No comments:

Post a Comment