Monday, June 27, 2011

R&R was Great, but Time to Build (oh, and get some Waffles)...

Took the last two weeks off (except for a lite ride with Dale last weekend) so Sunday it was time to get back up on the iron horse and start building for a fun (and longer) 'cross season ahead. Feel refreshed and ready to spend some building time in the early summer hours to avoid as much as the heat and humidity as possible.

Looks like the Hermann weekend will kick it off for me in September with a Wednesday evening race (if categories are available for the After Dark race), then hopefully head off to race with teammates in Madison at the USGP. After that it's Boss Cross 1&2 then on to the routine events. Really hoping Tulsa puts on another weekend of racing as that was fun. Jingle Cross is now a staple and I'm trying to work out a trip to L'ville. Figure state champs are my focus and try to maintain a little something and go to Madison (again) just for fun.

Not much changing in way of 'the ride' for 2011(12) as I love the feel and performance my Blue Norcross so why change up. Adding a set of carbon 50mm tubulars this year and have yet to decide on the rubber. Speaking of the Blue, haven't yet swapped it over to 'cross mode (yet), but it's coming this week (gravel roads and SBU here we come).

Family life is going good and everyone is getting into a flow with the youngster around. To bad I can't post pictures or videos containing the little man, because he is in most that I take.

Last Monday night my brother and I took our pop out (late Father's Day) and enjoyed an evening watching the SGF Cards play some baseball via the Redbird Roost; ate entirely too much ball park food. Hammond's Field is such a great park for a any city, but especially for one SGF's size.


Jake, Deb, and I took in Green Lantern Wednesday and it was decent, but I'll be the first one to say none of these have measured up to Iron Man in my opinion. Jake and I are looking forward to Capt America.

Friday evening Ian had a couple ball games (won 1 lost 1) and the little man did pretty good until the way home when we once again were reminded he has a limit before he needs sleep. Up early Saturday morning as Ian had a 1 day/3 game tourney in which they won 2 and lost 1. Fun, but long day; big thanks for Jake for watching 'the kid' while Deb and I took in the last game (in somewhat silence - ha!).

Sunday was all about some rest and relaxation for everyone (that is after an early AM 3hr ride for me) which included a couple hour nap for everyone - awesome! Lots of baseball was played in the backyard and just a generally feel good evening was had by all.

Monday I hit the weights/gym again and I must say that hurt (and will for a couple days). Always mentally sharpens me to move some metal around.

Tuesday was the last St John's Waffle race in SGF and I really didn't care to go in that I had not had much speed/power in the ol' legs being off for the last couple weeks, but these are good guys and I want to support as much SGF racing as possible so screw it, let's go. Got out at noon and spun around for 40 minutes to loosen up the weights from the day before. Rode down with Dale and TJ John's (long time rider and newer racer in Bolivar) and it turns out all the nutty fast guys didn't want to miss this either as it was a who's who of SGF in the 'A' race (crap, this was going to hurt). Roll out was quick right off the bat and the gas did not let up for the full 33 miles; when Brad Huff says at the end of the night 'I thought that was fast' that's telling you something. Fun group as there were a few breaks (nothing of significance), but everyone rolled through taking good pulls and at the end turns out no one was dropped off the pace. Knowing I can't get up the final lap's climb up the dam with the likes of Vinton and crew I took a couple solo digs at the group; one after the school turn and then my hardest just before the descent. Both they let me dangle out for a bit before easily reeling me back in. Going into the climb I punched out with Cale, Skip, Huff, and a couple others. Not sure what we averaged speed wise, but it was quick and surprisingly I felt great and was never under too much pressure. This bodes well mentally for the build session.

Both Dale and TJ had a great time in the B race and fun blow by blows were shared on the drive home.

Wednesday I jumped out for a quick 1:30hr spin on the SS on the Frisco before loading up the crew and heading to Silver Dollar City. The little guy had never been so everyone was looking forward to making sure he had a great time - mission accomplished! Fun time and the boys were all smiles until they hit the pillows at the end of the day.

BTW - Do not miss the below event put on by Jeff Yielding and the Hermann crew:

No comments:

Post a Comment