Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Jingle Cross (Did Not Rock)...

There are a bunch of fun challenging weekends across the midwest, but for me Jingle Cross in Iowa City, IA has always been top shelf quality (along with Louisville and now Cincy) and it's obvious more and more racers are figuring this out.  The numbers across the board not to mention the quality depth in each field was by far the best I've seen at this event since I started coming.

Let me back up; after Hanna's Hope I was still battling a chest and head cold, but it seemed like I was on the mend and while I didn't hit any super intensity training during the week I felt way good enough to feel confident for the weekend in IA.  Yes, temps were cold (really cold), but everyone had to battle the elements just like the next guy, just didn't realize how this would affect me.

Friday early Dale, Ira, and I loaded up and made the six hour trek north to Jingle Cross.  Uneventful drive (always good) found us at the race site a couple hours before start time which gave us plenty of time to throw up the KUAT canopy and walls (slight issue as only three were packed leaving us exposed) and get prep'ed for our 4:20pm start. 

Eric Burch, KC guy, and the Bowes' shared the tent for the weekend and I hope it was adequate for them to somewhat keep warmish and have a place to warm up.  Always good folks.

Took in a couple warm up laps and was amazed at how fast it was going to be.  Totally dry and the course was ripping.  This did not play to my strengths, but with the run up Mt Krumpet it might be the element that kept me competitive.


Lots of fast guys in our deep 45+ field and after a good start and 25 minutes comfortably in the top 10 I started struggling to get a full breath and felt like my throat was closing up.  I did what I could for the remainder and with guys passing me left and right in the last lap had no idea how I managed to even finish 13th.  It was bad, but I thought maybe Saturday would be better (spoiler alert - it wasn't).


Mt Krumpet run up is a strong section for me and
the more we hit it the better my results historically
Course the first two days were the fastest I've experienced at Jingle
Hung out and watched the rest of the evening events and cheered for our local guys before turning in for the night.

Saturday came and while my chest felt tight it didn't seem bad enough not to race.  Pre-ride found another day of fast dry conditions with limited slippage down the face of Mt Krumpet.  Going to be another fast race.  It was cold and felt very similar to Friday's race.

Whistle goes off, missed a pedal and quickly was moving backwards but by the time the 45+ hit the back of the 35+ at a tough bottleneck section I made a pretty stinking good dismounted move actually on the low side and moved right near the front of the race (honestly, it was awesome!).  As we manuvered to the long steep unjulating climb of Mt Krumpet I knew I was toast by the top.  I was not struggling, but literally gasping trying to get air.  I should have stopped right then, but the competitive nature wouldn't let that happen and as the race went on I wheezed my way to a brutal 21st place.  I was frustrated as my weekend was falling apart.


Not sure if this was day 1 or 2, but it didn't take long to
 run into the 35+ group (numbers starting with 300)
Punchy climbs on day 2
 
Cal-Giant brought a solid masters team from California

Packed up, headed to the hotel for lunch and clean up, before returning to watch the rest of the races.  I knew I was in trouble and decided then to pull the plug on Sunday.

Saturday afternoon the snow moved in and Sunday's course was exactly what I was hoping the entire weekend would have been - a drivers course.  It was tough watching, but got chance to cheer on teammates (Rick Mosley killing it Sunday with a 6th place) and friends before loading up and heading home.  Another Jingle done and dusted...

Recover seems to be the recent theme as I haven't kicked my head/chest cold for a week prior.  Tuesday my doc set me up with some meds to mend my chest and decided to put me on a daily inhaler (during season) to combat my asthma.  Taking some down days (when I should be full on intensity) to get healthy before stoking the fires again.  Looks like up next is Ruts N Guts in a couple weeks then MO State race on December 13th.


1 comment:

  1. I'm sure the "Machine" will be running full tilt boogie at Ruts, I feel sorry for your competition!! Oh wait....that's me!!!

    ReplyDelete