Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Back in the Saddle at Ruts-N-Guts

Felt good to be back racing after a three week break.  Leading into Jingle I had some respiratory issue and not until early part of last week did I feel back to regular and able to push training efforts.  This was great news long term, but meant Ruts N Guts (RNGs) would be tough. 

RNG's is in Tulsa (actually Broken Arrow), OK and this is my third time to the event.  Historically a three day race this year was moved to a two-day weekend and at a new venue.  I like going to this as there are always a new group of racers whom I rarely will see during my season; variety is the spice, right?  Last year the competition was solid, but the promoters missed the boat on a couple issues; those would all be fixed.

With my masters race starting at 10am Saturday (and Sunday) Dale and I headed out mid-day Friday and got to the course for a preview and to set up the 360 Racing compound with teammates.  New venue was flat, but the design used some pretty cool aspects of what was available and the wet/damp conditions would make it challenging.  I was not thrilled to see the multiple open power sections as I knew my legs didn't have it in them at this point of recovery.

Saturday morning came and them temps were in the high 40's and the course was wet/damp through out and muddy in some sections.  Good field lined up and off we went.  Race pretty much went like this:  hold on for dear life in the power sections, recover and move forward in the technical portions, hold on again as the power increased on the front and wait for the technical...  For the first half of the race six of us were all together with no one getting away and no one dropped.  Then it started when Ian Moore, strong guy from Texas, lit it up and splintering started.  Two Soundpony guys were between Moore and myself and with one to go I was closing on them, but ran out of course finishing 4th.  Had no idea how I managed that and was happy to be in the mix.


Rick was driving it both days while I was hanging on for
dear life in the open power sections
Technical sections I would catch back on and move near the
front until the next power drop
Day 1 podium
Sunday morning came and after a quick warm up my legs didn't feel too bad and was optimistic for the day.  Course was ran in reverse of Saturday's and was significantly drier; the combination of the two was going to make for a way faster day and that is not what I needed...  Temps were again in the mid-upper 40's which felt good.

Same crew at the start and after a couple laps still the same six guys.  The pace was absolutely stronger Sunday and I kept popping off on the long power sections and grasping my way back on, but after three laps I was off (so was one other before I popped) and watching four go up the course.  Kept steady and inched closer to my teammate Rick Moseley at the end, but his effort nabbed 4th and I was 5th (still in the money and podium).  Way faster race!

Had two days of solid starts; starting to hit the pedal early
 
 
Quicker than riding but I didn't figure this
out until it was too late


Think this is the point where I couldn't cover the gaps anymore and had
to ride my pace and not blow up 


Spent a lot of time solo chasing/holding off
Day 2 podium and a little more change in my pocket.  Guess the wind was
blowing hard on the right of this picture...
Breathing issues seemed non-existent so happy about that.  Now for a handful of hard training weeks leading to Nationals.

Trying to figure out next weekend as it's the MO State Champs in KC on Saturday, but on the same day Ian has a home ball game and there are a couple other things I would like to do.  No idea when I will decide to race or not.  After that its Boxing Day 'Cross in KC then 'Cross Off The Year in KC then the start of heading south...

No comments:

Post a Comment