Monday, November 2, 2009

10 Years Off My Life and a Boy Who Found His GUTS

This picture shows why I just lost 10 years off my life this past Saturday at the Class 3 District 6 Cross Country meet at Bolivar on SBU's campus. The Log-Rog kid in front was 14th and Jake (white top) finishes less than one step ahead of a McDonald County runner for 15th - THE LAST STATE QUALIFIER SPOT!!!!!!


With that out of the way here is a run down of our weekend starting with Friday.
Played a little basketball at noon on Friday at SBU as I simply didn't feel like riding; so I didn't. The Courts called and I was told Ian's game was cancelled due to the other team having the flu; needless to say Ian was bummed. We had a pretty casual rest of the night. Jake had his team's usual pasta pre-race meal (at coach's house this time) and got home around 9ish. He was in a good mood, but you could tell he was moving a little slower than usual, which indicates the stress is sitting in. He got to bed around 10pm and I was hoping he would have a good restful sleep... more on that to come.

Saturday morning I left the house early AM and met Coach Bandy to get finishing touches on the course. Bolivar dodged the mass rain the past two days, but the course retained a ton of water for the earlier week's storms and it was a mess (just like about every other XC course in Missouri). The temps were a tad cool, but just about perfect for a meet.
.
Little '08 season background: Jake ran pretty good last season and was a 'bubble' kid at districts as in he would have to run great and others off for him to advance to state. He cratered big time (mentally and physically - asthma kicked in big time) and didn't even come close. I love my boy, but it was a known fact that in times of tight racing he more times than not faded (just stating the facts). Fast forward to '09 where he has ran well all season and getting faster and faster as the peak is here. He has pressed to the finish of every race and never once looked to 'fade' in the later parts of races (even on bad days) Jake referenced not having a bad day a couple times over the past couple weeks, but mostly everything was positive and was focused to move on to the state meet. He was a lock to move on to the State Championships if he ran normal (not great, but don't crater).

So I am at SBU and Deb hits me with a text referencing Jake just left the house and was a horrid nervous wreck, could hardly eat and was physically shaking - oh crap, I knew he would be nervous (everyone is), but how much I would have to see for myself. He gets to the course, we talk, and he looks hollow and tired. Coach and I get him some 'team chores' to do to keep his mind off of the race as much as possible. I keep an eye on him during warm ups and he is looking OK. We don't talk at all before and at 11am his race goes off...


West Plains is the defending state champs (team) and is ranking #1 again while McDonald County is probably a strong 3rd or 4th. Jake's district is LOADED as at least 17 kids have all ran in the low 17s this year. Remember, all Jake has to do is run 'normal' and finish in the top 15 to move on (today 1st is as good as 15th - simply survive and move on).

After 800meters the lead group is separating themselves and Jake is tailing off the back - he is on a bad bad day; not the same Jake as the last month. There are several guys in the lead whom Jake not only beat earlier, but by quite a bit. My stomach drops.
He hits the mile at 5:27 and in 14th spot all alone. At the 2 mile mark (11:30) there is a group of four quickly closing in on him as he is still running alone. I flash by Deb a couple times here and there and we exchange looks knowing he is on a tough one. Two (Log-Rog guy and McDonald County guy) of the four catch and pass him with 1/2 mile to go, but he digs deep and keeps on their shoulders (something he usually has problems with). 400 meters up a long drag and he passed 15th with 14th place a couple seconds ahead (the gap is decent and I am thinking he did it). Then at the top of the hill the McDonald County guy blasts out of nowhere and passes Jake and opens a slight lead and J looks cooked. I am about to die inside as he is slipping away. But WAIT, that son of a gun is not folding and is clawing his way back with less and 50 meters. I (and Coach McElhaney) are at the top of the hill and we can't tell who is in front of who going to the line. All I could see out of the entire crowd at the finish is my brother's arm (who was standing at the finish line) thrust upwards and then two arms up in victory.
Coach M and I hugged each other like two teenagers on their first 'parking' (not really like that, but you get the idea) and jumped up and down for what seemed an eternity.
.
GUTS, my boy didn't fold up and slip away he fought to the last step and that is something he will hold on to forever. He has a shirt from Coach Bill Dixon's running camp this summer that simply says 'GUTS' and Jake loves that thing. Coach Bandy and I often spoke this year that he trained Jake to run strong early so to not put him in positions of having to gut it out as historically he hasn't shown it... well, coach and I spoke after the race and he doesn't doubt Jake's guts anymore (that's two of us) as his finish was simply will power and wanting it more than the next guy. Jake ran one of his worst races (he'll admit to it) of the year, but at the same time ran the guttiest race I have ever seen him do - ever! He knew he was on a bad day and didn't give in; the kid has flipped the switch and I guarantee you he will never go back (you just don't do it).

So there I am sprinting down to the finish and there is a huge crowd around Jake (nice to have a home-crowd) all giving him much love. I find Deb and we simply look at each other exhausted and then hug tightly. Ian is there going nuts, telling everyone how Jake is a stud and has GUTS (often talked about at our house) and he is beaming for his big brother (wish Jake could have seen how his little bro was going on and on as he thinks he is a rock star!!!!). Things around Jake break up a little and we are simply looking at each other and smiling. We lock hugs and I am trying to tell him of how proud of effort (which was bigger than placing today) he gave and he is simply smiling back. I locked that moment in my 'forever' memory and have replayed it many times over and over this past weekend.

Jake is physically and mentally fried, but hops right back on the course to root on the Lady Liberators (and a special friend of his) to a 2nd place overall (whole varsity team is State bound!). A Bolivar girl wins the overall district and the entire team performs great. If you know Jake then you know he is honestly every bit excited for them as he is about himself. They have spent so many AM and PM hours/miles together and a closer athletic family will be hard to find.
.
Awards come and he is up on the podium with the rest of the State crew and folks/teammates are going nuts for him - he is starting to beam. Mission accomplished - made it to State. This year's race in Jeff City will be more about gaining experience for the '10 season where in he will compete for the front end.



It was an incredible roller coaster of emotions and a day I won't trade for many. My mom & dad, Jim & Cheri, Ira, Dale, the Kemps... the list keeps going and they all showed up to support Jake and his crew. That is huge to me and I love you guys. I can't imagine two finer coaches then Ron and Christine and have a hard time expressing my admiration for their dedication to running and personal development - Rock Stars in my (and many other's) eyes.
.
Jake and I talk later (after his return from the team's post-race meal at El Rodeo) and he can't explain how nervous he was the night prior and that he didn't sleep a single wink the entire night (that would explain the hollow look). We talked about how I fought that same thing for my earlier races and how he will learn to deal with it as more experiences happen. We talked about how next year he will have expectations of winning races and those knots/nerves will continue, but knowing how to harness that is the key.
.
Saturday afternoon I had absolutely no energy nor interest in riding so we all crashed and did a whole lot of nothing (except some driveway basketball) until late afternoon when Ian threw on his costume (Big Albert of course) and we hit the town for what ScottyD calls the National Day of Begging (perfect name). Jake headed out with some friends for some horror movies and wasn't seen again until much later.

We wrapped up around 8pm and got back to the casa in time to dole our candy dish out to the 'late nighters'. After that it was a little college football for Ian while Deb and I watched State of Play (not too bad). Deb and Ian hit the hay and I waiting up for the boy who made it in a little after midnight. He and I stayed up until 2am watching TV and chatting. He is a typical teen with a busy social life so if I have to wait up all night to get my time in that's what I will do. I love our relationship and will miss him so in a couple years.

Saturday afternoon ScottyD and I decided late night Halloween festivities would not make for good Sunday 'cross racing so we decided to hold off until next weekend (Heartland Saturday and Veteran's on Sunday). Nice to have an off weekend.

Sunday morning was 'sleep super late' since we had an extra hour. We (all except Jake who woke just before noon) made it to Sunday School and church. Afterwards J joined us at a local dive for lunch. Dale and I got in a spin down the Frisco while Deb cruised around town. It felt good to have a couple days off the bike and an easy ride to kind of refire the legs. I am feeling rejuvenated and ready for the last five week push of 'cross. Sunday evening Ian's crew had b-ball practice and afterwards is was 'laundry night' (whole lot of folding going on), a little Amazing Race, then bed. Jake spent the evening with his 'friend' at their church and ended up home kind of late. He has no AM practices this week so an extra 2hrs every morning affords him a little later bed time.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to Jake!!! Good luck at state.

    Hey JJ, how are things? Shoot me an email - tedkicey@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Stinking Cow, Ted Kicey!!!!!! Email is on the way this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete