Friday, November 12, 2010

Loaded Workouts Week 1

I am not real big on focusing for a particular event during 'cross season as I like to do my best and ride as fast as I can at every one, but this year I am actually hoping to do really well at the Cat 3 MO State Champs in early December. To clarify, 'do really well' pretty much means ride like I do at most other events and if I place high than great and if I don't than not too big of a deal; just glad to race a ton this year. That being said I am in the middle of a big two-week heavy load before a two week taper leading to Jingle Cross and then the MO race a week later.

Monday was pretty laid back with 1:30hrs of basketball (considered light intervals) at noon. Home life was pretty routine with Ian and I shooting hoops after work while Deb power-walked her miles.

Tuesday started with a run and stadium climbs at SBU which prepped the legs for a big long interval session with Dale at noon on the XC course; one of the best workouts of the year so far. After work Ian and I headed off to b-ball practice with the team and got home to Deb's homemade chicken noodle soup with the whole gang (Deb, Ian, Jake, and Andie).

Wednesday early Dale, Nate and I got in a 2hr rode ride and it was much harder than expected (legs were still fried from intervals) as the south wind was brutal. We took old Hwy 13 south (straight headwind) and flew on the return that had me max'ed out several times with my 42x12 with no chance of taking the city limit sign. At noon I hit another basketball 1:30hr session with the crew at SBU which put a fork in me as I was done. Ian and I hit the gym after work and he was on fire.

Thursday was begging for me to take a day off from the bike so I listened. Not much going on at the casa so E and I took in the Heat/Celtics game, which was pretty good.

It rained pretty much all morning today (Friday) and cleared up before noon so I jumped on the bike and hit the ball field loop at SBU for an hour of slip-n-slide driving. Still feeling the heavy early week so I kept it pretty tame with the exception of a handful of openers (for tomorrow's race).

Looking to get in an hour of so ride Saturday morning before heading to Topeka for the night Grand Prix HPT 'cross race; Sunday is the De Stadt Cup event. These are two completely different style courses as Saturday night's is partially on a dirt track and will be crazy fast and Sunday's at St. Mary's University ungulates with tons of options for off-camber, beach runs, cobble climbs... Not expecting to feel super fresh as it's been a tough week, but I'll give it a go. Next week continues another heavy training load.

On a side cycling note Dale and I had to drool over Nate's new C50; it is a thing of beauty! He is building it out piece by piece and having fun in the process (right now the big decision is SRAM Red or Campy Super 11).






Here's a little something I forgot from last Sunday's ride. Heading thru SBU campus when I came upon the group in the picture in full 'knights of the round table' garb and weapons (except these were the foam type). Some had on time era clothing and I was thinking 'what a bunch of dorks' (which had me chuckling) then I got to thinking how someone was probably taking a picture of a couple grown men in spandex still 'riding their bikes' and chuckling to themselves... (not so funny anymore)
With State XC over the District awards were given out this week and it was surprising that with only three races (and none stellar) Jake was given Honorable Mention. Apparently several of the district coaches recognized the effort Jake put forward in leading his team even when not running which was way cool for him. Coach Bandy made a direct reference to Jake being injured in an interview with a local paper and how he was still the driving force/reason behind the boy's team making it to state. Both provided Jake with some positive closure on his senior year of XC. He is talking non-stop to me about killing it on the track this spring and I hope everything clears up so he can compete at his highest level (we will be a beast at the 800 and 1 mile).

No comments:

Post a Comment