Monday, November 22, 2010

Stick To the Plan

For the past month I have stuck to my 'plan' leading up to Jingle Cross and MO State Champs and it seems like it's having positive results. So this past weekend was supposed to finish off a hard two week 'last push' big block of training with no racing on the agenda... but, that was before I found out we were heading to a family gathering in STL and Bubba #9 was on the way home (ok a bit out of the way, but none the less do-able). So finish out the solid week and now it's Friday night and I'm bustling around trying to get my race stuff together... wait a minute, this is not what was planned; shake yourself and stick to it. Long and short after that, dropped all my gear and Saturday morning loaded up the family with no riding paraphernalia. Stick to the plan!

After a solid run/ride on Monday I grabbed a 1:40hr tempo ride to Stockton Lake at noon on Tuesday and Wednesday played an hour of basketball and rode a bit after work.

Thursday AM was a solid hour interval session on the trainer before work and at noon I alternated hot/recovery laps on the SBU ball field course for 1:30hrs. Thursday evening Ian and I shot at the gym before enjoying a relaxing evening of vegg'ing in front of the tube.

Friday afternoon I jump out for a couple hour ride on the Frisco Trail. It was crazy windy and the FT provides a great sheltered path for recovery rides. Later that evening we were at The Courts for Ian's game in which we got slaughtered by the best 4th grade team I had ever seen. Our guys didn't play bad, but not really well either; good to have that done and over with. My mom and pop were in attendance and always good to see them there.

Saturday morning we all slept in before heading to STL. Deb's side of the family gathered for a (early) Thanksgiving meal, which Linda and Deb did a great job preparing (especially Linda's apple dumplings). After the evening meal everyone except Ian and I headed to watch Harry Potter at the theater. At age 9 we are still hesitant to take him to shows above his head or that might be a little 'much' for him. That was fine as he and I were on a quest to find a sports bar, er, eatery showing the Spurs game. We never found one, but settled for Indigo Joe's chowing on Nachos and watching the Arkansas .vs. Miss State game. Fun evening hanging out with my little man.

Sunday was pretty much all about Jake as Deb and I took him to the Bodies Exhibition. If you haven't seen this than you need to; it was incredible and absolutely educational. After that we did some shopping for my oldest and hit 5 Guys (hamburger and fries) for a late lunch. Back to Mandee's to snag Ian and hit the road home.

I stepped out of the car at 6:52 and by 7pm I was on the bike for a night ride with Ira and Nate. 30 miles (10 mile lighted loop) in absolutely great temps (bit windy) was a perfect way to finish off the weekend.

A couple of lite rides and efforts this week before heading to northern Iowa for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday racing at Jingle Cross. Temps are looking a bit coolish (ok, stinking cold!!!) and hopefully rain/mud will hold off. I am not expecting to win any of the Jingle races, but do hope to ride at my highest level this year and finish where I may; same with the MO State race as I'd like to be top 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment