Thursday, November 4, 2010

Midway Through

Last weekend was the 1/2 point for my (and most of our) season with 11 races completed. Deb's been awesome in support of my playing 'racer' most every weekend and it was fun having her at the Bubba #5 on Sunday (couldn't help but smile at her on most every lap). 2010 has by far been the most fun 'cross season of my life and I look forward to this second half. I am riding pretty good and getting faster and only had one 'off' day of racing (Cross Out Cancer) where I couldn't get things going for the life of me. I've had some mechanicals (Hermann and Bubba #5), but nothing that's got me upset as the Blue and supporting components/equipment has done their job. Started racing more and more with the 'big boys' and while I am battling in the back-half of the pack for these hour long events it is making me faster and smarter. For the second half I am mostly looking forward to Jingle Cross in Iowa and then the MO State Champs where I'll give it a go in the Cat 3's. I've got one weekend off before Jingle Cross and all others I am racing both Saturday and Sundays through mid-December (trying to line up something to see my buddy Chad from San Antonio at the TX State Champs in Dallas mid December).

On the way home Sunday night from STL I got a little twinge in my throat and thought little of it until I woke up Monday with a full blown head cold which has sapped 90% of my energy. Guess it is unrealistic to expect to make it through an intense 3 month period without some type of illness/injury so it's not too big of a deal. It did change up my week of training as it was more important to recover and rest my body then to push thru and it seems to be working as I think the bug is on it's way out. Pushing liquids by the gallons and making sure REST is priority.

Monday I took as 100% rest from the double-days of racing. Tuesday was a light 1hr spin as my energy level was tapped out and nose was set at full flow. Wednesday I got in running intervals at noon then a 1:30hrs spin with Ira. Today Dale and I hit bike driving at the city park for 1:30hrs and tomorrow is rest with Saturday and Sunday racing in Lawrence, KS (Joules and Veterans).

Yesterday Nate (fellow Bolivarian) got his Colnago C50 frame, fork, and seatpost in (nude carbon black, red, and white). While I've seen them ride by or in pictures I'd never inspected one up close and holy cow that thing is beautiful. It'll be fun watching him choose the build out components.

On the home front not much is going on now that the remodel dust has settled. Ian and I have hit the gym for team practice and individual shooting around like regular. One thing of particular interest to me is I am without one of our players on Ian's team for this Friday's game and the reason is important. The youngster while being an 'A' student has taken to quite a bit of talking in the classroom and gotten some trouble which was discussed at a recent parent/teacher conference. The parents decided to suspend their son from sports until his actions change and I fully commend them for taking this stance (the same one Deb and I have told my kids we will take) as so many times our society emphasises 'play on the field' takes precedent over school, character development, responsibility... Good on his parents for long-term vision.

Deb has shifted into full on fall/winter cooking spoiling us with an awesome beef stew last night and homemade potato and bacon soup the night before that (ham, beans, and cornbread are on the agenda soon). Jim and Linda (Deb's parents) are in town for the winter which is always fun for all of us.

Next year's shrubs and perennials (even a nice spread of raspberry bushes from my bro) were purchased and planted which probably requires a little explanation. About this time of year Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes... all clean out their inventory of shrubs and I buy a ton of them at crazy low prices ($2 per for what cost $15 in the spring) plant them in a soil enriched area behind my shop and then transplant them as need next spring/summer. I've done this for a couple years now and it works out great. I need to find two cherry trees and get them in the ground soon before winter sets in.

No comments:

Post a Comment