Tuesday, June 14, 2011

2011 MTB is a Wrap - Landahl MO State Race

First part of the 2011 'cross season is a wrap closing it out with the MO State Champs in KC this past weekend. For me spring is a time to get in some general fitness, sharpen the handling skills, and throw in some racing for good times. Usually I am done with mtb'ing at the end of May, but this year I was having so much fun on the SS 29'er I extended it a couple weeks and I am glad I did. Up next for me is a week off the bike, a handful of crits in July then building for what to me is the focus of the year - cyclocross, baby!

So, this past week I felt absolutely drained and tired after the Down and Dirty in Warsaw; not from the race itself, but just generally. Outside of cycling our family has been much busier than normal (for us and I'll get to that later) and I think it was starting to take it's toll on me. I took a super lite week of riding with a recovery spin on Monday, good long effort session on Wednesday and some openers on Saturday. I needed rest more than anything and by Saturday's openers I was feeling pretty good and ready for Sunday's race.

CMac and I made the trek to Landahl Park Sunday morning but not early enough to get in a pre-ride so it was going to be a learning curve as the race progressed. Word was the 7 mile course was super fast with a little bit of everything and they were spot on - fastest course I've raced in a long time. The temps were super nice (low 70's before the start) and it had rained lightly Sunday morning and a lot of folks were concerned about the 'rock' sections; it had been several years since I last rode Landahl and I remembered some significant ledge/rock sections but had never ridden them wet - you needed to be on your game to stay upright on these sections, but I thought it made it a fun challenge. With such a fast loop expected we figured the 2 loop race (for SS class) would last just a hair over an hour which is not good for me as I tend to do better the longer the event, but it was what it was.


Great turnout in general for the race and a good sized field in the SS class with some fast guys (pretty sure CMac had it in the bag as long as he rode clean). Gun goes off and get a decent start setting in third for most of the first 1/2 of the loop; Cale and Mark Cole rode off. A pre-ride would have helped as I was a tad tentative on the crazy fast single track, but it turned out like you were on rails flying through the woods. Got to a double track opening and a handful of guys passed me in an open section and I didn't respond like I should have and was sitting 7th or 8th as we entered into the single track for the second half of the loop. This is where the handling was key as there there several rock ledges and formations that were really slick and folks were dumping left and right. I rode a steady pace and 'cross'ing' it (dismount and run) when I saw riders having problems with sections and took little risk. I couldn't believe how fast the loop went and at the end of 1 of 2 I was in 4th place with a guy right on my butt.

Second lap was similar to the first, but was able to ride the single track 'cleaner' as I knew a little bit of what was coming up. These sections were so much fun! Got passed again in the double track and now was in 5th (with a pretty decent gap on 6th). Hooked up with Josh Taylor (Cat 1 race) and we rode most of the loop together. With about a mile to go I t-boned a ledge with my rear wheel and immediately I lost a ton of pressure, but was about to continue on for a short bit. Like the idiot I am I didn't pack a co2 as I figured with such a short race if I had to change out a tube my hope of winning was over so I simply didn't take one. So with 3/4 mile to go I was totally flat in the rear and started running. Josh offered me a hand, but I told him to ride on as I had to live with my stupid decisions. I was actually making pretty good time on foot over the rough terrain, but as I hit the clearing (100 meters from the finish) Pete came out of the woods and passed me to take 5th and me with 6th (MO State I was 4th) - bummer, but what can you do... Cale rode away from everyone and easily won the state jersey (champion) so at least I got to share a ride with the smell of a new jersey (ha). Mark G. dominated the marathon class so it was good to see SWMO getting the job done and snagging it's fair share of bling.

By far the Landahl course was the funnest I've ridden in a long time; great mix of everything except climbing. Cale and I both commented on how short it was and how neither of us felt very taxed. The promoters did a great job with every aspect of the event. Good to see some of the regulars and several I hadn't seen since 'cross season.

I had a great handful of races with some decent results this spring and feel my handling is what benefited the most from the time on the trail. Hard to explain how much fun I had with the 29'er (forgiving for my bull-in-a-China-shop style) and equally so with the SS.

Up next hopefully is a couple days of the Tour of KC (hard to make all three days) which will include Friday night at Longview, then a couple days for the Tour of Lawrence. After those I'll find a couple more in July then regroup to start training for 'cross.

On the home front this week we got 'the call' and now have a new little guy living with us. While I won't go into details this little 5 year old boy is a great fit (already) with our family and hopefully it works out that he is with us for quite some time. This has changed a ton for our lifestyle and now all of us are getting re-familiar with Hot Wheels, Disney Jr., and Lincoln Logs. After dinner every night he is already going for the ball gloves and shags Ian's hits for hours. While it is a lot of smiles for us it is a load of work; did I mention lots of work?


Jake currently is on a mission trip to Toledo, Ohio for the week and will get home next Sunday. We talked a couple times and he is having a good time, but the schedule is busy as they are working in a food distribution place and then hosting a Vacation Bible School. Jake is a quality kid...

My day lilies are killing it right now and my established blackberries are pumping out just enough for a decent daily snack. Hopefully in a couple years I will have enough for multiple cobblers.

Absolutely enjoying my week of nothingness (fitness wise).

Oh, on a side note I am selling my 17.5" (medium) Trek Fuel if anyone is helping someone get onto trails at a good price. $400 gets a great running XTR shifter/brake (RIM only), XT crank (external BB), LX derailleurs, Rock Shox fork, and Bontrager Race Lite tubeless wheels.

2 comments: