Sunday, October 9, 2011

Crossing Out Cancer During a Rest/Recovery Week

This past week worked out way better than I ever imagined...

I try to stick with a training routine of 3 weeks on the gas and 1 recovery/rest and this past weekend it came at a really good time. I was starting to feel the five races over the past three weeks and after Boss Cross 1 & 2 I turned the training volume and intensity way down. Got in some cruising miles on the road, the Frisco, and some good ol' Polk County backroads and restarted my two-a-week run/stadium step workouts.

Debated heading to KC on Sunday for the Cross Out Cancer race as last year it was my worst race, but David Evans (local Bolivar 'cross crew) wanted to do his first 'cross race and I like the KC Livestrong guys and didn't mind supporting a good cause.

After four soccer games Saturday morning (Ian had 2 and D had a couple) I jumped out with Ira for some cruising and openers. He was putting the smack down on me and it had me worried about maybe taking the week toooo easy...
I needed to get back to Bolivar early for an event Ian had Sunday afternoon so I opted for the early Masters 35+ race instead of the Open three hours later. David and I jumped in the car and headed north. It's been since early last year that I last toed the line with the masters and was surprised to find 28 guys in my race alone (and not really sure how many of the other categories were on course at the same time, but it was a ton).
Course was pretty similar to last year, some open pedaling stuff, lots-o-turns, regular set of barriers, and a low set (which was easily 'hoppable' every lap). Temps were a tad warmish for Oct cross and with a lack of rain the ground was hard and bumpy (easy fix with tubulars). Not a favorite, but it was fine.
Gun goes off and Brendon Jenks (360 guy) jumps out and solo's for most of the first lap with myself and a Slimen guy close behind. The Slimen guy joins Jenks and I get pretty close to contact before they open up a gap and that was it. Slimen guy rides off solo for the win while I chase Jenks at a 20 second distance for the rest of the race. We finish that way while 4th (a Cow Town guy) finished not too far down on me.
David raced well and nabbed a 3rd in the Cat 4 Masters event.
Loaded up and headed back south. Good day and the 40 minute race was just what the recovery doctor ordered on this last day before hitting it full gas again.
Up next is a couple Bubba (I know, the name if fitting for Missouri) races in STL next weekend; a Saturday night event (starts at 10pm!!!) and then a Sunday day race.

No comments:

Post a Comment