Monday, October 17, 2011

Joules Cross Weekend

Busy week at home leading up to the weekend and I debated and debated between heading to STL for a Bubba weekend (Sat night and Sunday late afternoon race) or head to Lawrence KS for Joules Cross (Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning races). Ian and D had soccer games early Saturday so racing the Masters at Joules was out of the equation and it's always nice getting back to the crew with some Sunday afternoon left so... Joules it was, but that choice wasn't reached until Friday afternoon.


Speaking for Friday, Deb and I took Ian, one of Ian's friends, and D (Jake couldn't get out classes) to Silver Dollar City for the day. We ended up meeting my folks there and having a great day. Nice cool weather made for a super 'stroll around' atmosphere.


After the boy's soccer games I loaded up and headed off to Lawrence for the Open race. I raced one day at Joules last year (mechanical took me out 15 minutes in) and it is not high on my list of favorites, but it's fine. Wide open power pedaling (not a strong suit for me in the Open) is the only focus of the day as there is 0.0% technical aspect.


Got to the course and the pre-ride found it much like last year which meant slight up and downs, bumpy and rough and wide open. Chatted up some friends, warmed up, and at 3:15 it was go time. A smallish field of 14 lined up and after an hour of suffrage I was 9th after a frustrating day of felling 'off' and never could mentally or physically get it going. I will openly admit it's hard to get mentally fired up for a race you know your going to get drilled; in other words I could have my best race of my life and be absolutely lucky to get a top 6, oh well, enough pity...







*photos from Keith Walberg and Roger Harrison*


After the race I headed to Mass to people watch and grab some food. Ended up keeping it simple at Pickleman's. After snagging some groceries and checking out some cars (hopefully changing out the Durango in a handful of months) it was back out to the venue where they had free camping. Beautiful night made 'Durango Camping' perfect with the tailgate and windows open.

Sunday morning got in a solid warm up and pre-ride (much different course with less elevation change, but a little longer) and lined up in the Masters 40+. Good group of guys and solid racers.

David H. jumped away and George Robinson (Slimen) dangled the entire race around 10-15 seconds ahead (simply couldn't close the gap) and finished 3rd. I raced much better as being near the front will do that to a person (unlike the Open for me).


With the boy's soccer games coming to a close I will have more opportunities to race Saturday Masters events, which is a great event for me right now. Saturday afternoons will still find me getting punished in the Open also...


While I was away Deb took the boys to the SGF zoo and had a great time. Sunday afternoon, upon my return, we all played a bunch of soccer at SBU before crashing in front of the tube to watch the Cardinals pound on Brew Crew to move on to the World Series (who would have thunk it...).


Next weekend is race-free and I am looking forward to being home with the family. I now have 8 races done and achieved my main goal of the early season with winning the overall Cat 3 at Hermann and racing solid at both Boss Cross 1 & 2 events. I feel like I am racing better, smarter, and faster than last year, but that might just me my imagination.


My next month 'run' includes Boss Cross 3 (masters and Open), 360 Cup & Blvd weekend, and then L'ville USGP.

No comments:

Post a Comment