Monday, May 10, 2010

Clean Up on Aisle Giro...

I have said it before and I'll say it again, the Giro is my favorite Grand Tour hands down. The Italian run-ins are brutal and even in Holland they continue to find the twistiest and nasty roads possible. Crashes and groups splintering are the theme once again so far with CVV crashing out, Evans losing time (agree with Crusty's tweet about not having a single teammate with him?!?!?!), and chaos presiding - makes for great viewing and tough racing. One thing I miss this year is 7xTdF winners whining and crying about 'how dangerous' it is for riding and they should protect them more... While I agree to some degree it is what it is and the Giro folks like it that way so enjoy your ToC.

I forgot to mention the other day that Jake's COC meet was the first time Bolivar won both boys and girls conference titles; pretty cool for the kids and coaches. On the not so good news front Jake continues to have physical issues this track season. Tuesday after the meet he was hacking and coughing a little and we wrote it off to allergies and by Thursday is was a fully blown head/chest cold. The kids had a pretty light training week (which was good for his cold) so we waited for this thing to pass as he was getting plenty of rest and meds to knock it down. Saturday morning Deb took him in to the doc and he has full blown bronchitis (close to walking pneumonia) and looks/feels totally wasted. He is now on antibiotics, steroids, and full rest as he is trying to salvage and end to this season as districts are this Saturday in Union (near STL). This is the second year in a row physical issues hampered his season and track is not high on his list right now for next year.

Weekend Update:

Friday after work Deb, Ian, and I headed over to a b-day party for one of Ian's team/classmates home. There was a bonfire, some fishing, kickball, playing in the woods... everything that makes boys boys. Cool winds made for a chilly evening, but loads of fun.


Ian and snugged up once home and had our hearts tore out as we watched the Spurs go zero-games-to-three to the Suns (they are finished - sigh).

Saturday was another round of windy (and slightly cool - 42* at 7am) conditions outside so I opted for an afternoon ride instead of a 'crack of dawn' jaunt. Deb and I snuck out while the boys slept late for a breakfast at Brendas. Deb is now one of the 'official regulars' as the waitress rattled off her order before Deb could say it.

The rest of the morning/early afternoon was spent in the yard/garden hitting the routine maintenance. I have new grass growing in the front yard where I put in the shrubs and wall, which is good. The blackberries and strawberries (especially these) are looking great and the spinach is coming right along.

Met Dale at 2:30pm and we decided to skip the winds and hit the FT to SGF on the 'cross bikes. Turned out a great ride and pretty much sheltered from the winds. We kept a solid tempo for what ended up a 4hr ride. There were tons of folks out on the FT as we probably ran across 40-50 people (and not only near the Willard area). The FT makes for an odd ride as there are no hills so you would think it is a pretty easy ride, but it's much like being on a trainer with no relief/coasting requiring pedaling every second. I like it as you get out of it what you put in.

Saturday evening was pretty laid back and Betty White's SNL appearance wrapped up our evening. Jake and planned to see Iron Man II, but opted out as his hack/cough would not make for an enjoyable time for us (or the audience). BW's SNL was decent, but not near as good as what I hoped; still entertaining though.

Got up Sunday morning to Mother's Day. Deb received hugs, fresh flowers, and poems before Jake whipped up breakfast (omelets, toast, and coffee) for his mom. Afterwards we made our way to church and then a call to Domino's (it was a no-cook-day for Deb) provided us lunch while we played several games of Settlers. Later afternoon Deb and I jumped on the FT (third day in a row for me, which his highly rare) and knocked out a 2hr ride. My girl has been riding with a friend and I must say I was impressed with her tempo for the entire ride. ***Now, before I start getting responses about 'where's her lid?' it is the FT (from practically our doorstep) so we opted not to wear them - she does wear one otherwise***


During our ride I carried a light pack and stopped various times to collect some beautiful wildflowers. I played 'catch-up' pretty much the whole ride as Deb kept rolling as I picked. I was seeing my mom later that afternoon and thought she would like a bouquet so I ended up coming home with a ton of vegetation. The Martha Stewart in me came out and ended up with a decent looking arrangement; my mom loved it (and I love her tons).


Sunday evening we hosted a couple families from our Sunday School class over for a 'build-a-banana-split' and Beatles Rock Band fellowship. It turned out so much fun as everyone participated singing or playing (mostly both). You can't hardly go wrong with the Beatles... In the end the Teens took out the Dads while the Moms finished last (on Mother's Day none the less).




As we were heading to bed it was good to hear Deb comment of having a great Mother's Day as she makes sure everyday is kids/husband's day for us. Thanks for all you do for our boys (and me) and being the benchmark of what mother's should aspire; you are AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment