Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Beast Is Dead

For those faithful readers you know I have had an ongoing battle with a mole in my backyard for the past two summers. Two and a half years ago I caught (killed) one in a trap and his replacement would not fall for the traps and thus eluded and taunted 'til I was going crazy trying every product/sprinkle/device with no result.
.
Yesterday evening I did what every cyclist in SWMO did with finally no rain and decently clear skies, I did yard work and since it was a planned rest day didn't even look at the bike. I was starting to regret my non-biking decision and if I had ridden I wouldn't have had the following 'adventure':
.
About a month ago I applied my usual grub killer to the lawn and immediately noticed new mole runs in my flower/shrub beds. Yesterday afternoon Ian and I planted a new Dogwood near the garden and afterwards (10 minutes) I went back to replace the decorative rock and lo and behold I saw the earth pulsating about 2 feet from where I planted the tree. Shovel, rake, and hatchet (Ian's tool of choice) was laying right there so I picked up the hatchet and unleashed two years of wrath on little mound of moving soil!!!!! Those things move so fast and I figured I missed him, but when the dust and smoke cleared (ok, there was no dust or smoke, but it sounds better) there lay that 'thorn in my side' dead. VICTORY!!!!!
.
I took my prey and proudly displayed him to my neighbors anticipating a great feast with celebration, but all I got was a "nice, let's hope the next one doesn't do more damage...". Whatever! In my mind I was king of my domain that evening and no one had any idea of the mental celebration I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment