Monday, April 4, 2011

Rolling Around in the Warsaw Woods

What a great weekend for anything outdoors related; hope everyone got out and enjoyed it. I think my hacking is a thing of the past and now to hopefully regain some fitness...

Friday afternoon Dale, Nate and I kicked it down the Frisco a couple hours (I was on the SS with a 32/16 mix). Got back home and spent some time getting the shop straightened up and making sure the tiller, mower, and scooter were all prepped and ready for some warm weather. Good to say all is up and going.


Saturday morning (all day in fact) was dedicated to the yard, but first was a Men's Prayer breakfast at church. A buddy picked me up 5:50am and by 6am we were cooking for the group coming in at 7am. It was a fun morning and a solid way to start the day.
Got home and made the rounds buying mulch, a cherry tree, grub killer... all the stuff to keep us busy. It was a busy day with Ian's baseball practice, but by afternoon's end the yard and garden is looking like a million bucks. Deb got some starters going in the garden and hopefully soon we'll eat up.

Saturday night Ian and I was spent with my bro and some friends watching the Final Four games; good stuff. Got home late and packed for the mtb race in Warsaw the next day.
Sunday started off with RVV (Flanders) on the web (and a huge bowl of Lucky Charms - race day food) and it was one of the best I've seen. FC and Chavenel were by far the strongest, but NN played it right.

Quick hour drive up to Warsaw for a 11:30 start. Got up early and took a steady pace warm up loop of the course (6.2 miles), which proved a good choice and glad I changed back to the 32/18 SS. The course was pretty much all single track with it's fair share of rocks and roughness along with a decent amount of climbing, but I really like the way the 29'er smoothed most of it out and was able to climb well. The temps were in the 80's and while it was not super hot it was a bit of a shock to the system after riding in 40's and 50's, but I pounded water and Nuun's which worked out great. About 20 or so lined up for the Open class and being a 'small/local' race the field was pretty light in way of normal fast kids. Mark Gullet who won the 1st race (its a three race series) was at the OC and I didn't recognize much anyone else.


The race was only two loops (13 or so miles) so I figured I would go pretty hard right from the start and see how it went. Jumped on it at and was first one to the single track. Have no idea what happened behind as after 1/2 mile I neither saw nor heard anyone else. I set off and rode a solid first lap and kicked it back a notch for the second making sure I kept steady and not make any mistakes (and continue to drink tons). Ended up winning (which will probably not happen again this year) and was around 8 or 9 minutes up on 2nd. Fun place to ride and looking forward to the state SS champs there later this summer.

Back home and finished up some yard and garden work. Deb and Ian spent the day in SGF and when they got home we played a ton of baseball in the backyard. Nice day.
Routine week lined up with Ian's ball games now on Tuesdays and only 5 weeks of foster/adoptive classes to go on Thursdays. Hoping to get to Lawrence on Saturday for the UFofD (West) mtb race on the River Trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment