Friday, August 12, 2011

Branson Weekend, SGF Dirt Crit, and MTB riding (say what?!?!?)

Two weekends ago was a ton of fun. Friday evening we shared a condo in Branson with my folks and my brother's family and stayed in the area until Monday afternoon. Our weekend included some laser tag, mini golf, a day at Silver Dollar City, and wrapped up with a day at White Water. Lots of fun and quality time with the boys. The little guy loved both SDC and WW and couldn't decide which was the best (neither could I). Lots of pictures, but all contain the little guy so I can't post 'em.

The temps have dropped back to 'normal' and I am actually getting outside in the afternoons.
Tuesday morning Dale, Ira, and I got out for an hour of bike driving at SBU and then that afternoon Ira and I made an appearance at the Sac Dirt Short Track. We (mostly I) decided to take our 'cross bikes and while it worked out decent for me (4th place) Ira battled a couple flats. Fun course and perfect for working on mad driving skilz (that's for you Crusty) in the tight twisty stuff. Cale, JB, and Mark G were killing it like usual.

Wednesday was nice out so I got in some SST work on the road.

Friday Dale and I got out early and did a couple hours of solid bike driving at SBU, City Ball Fields, and the City Park. I love cutting the first tracks in fresh dew...

With 'cross season just around the corner it continues to be time to jump on early registration for fall races. This week I secured my spot in the USGP 2/3 race in L'ville (sorry Madison, couldn't fit you in my schedule) and today I locked up a spot in the USAC (not UCI) open race for the Gateway Cross Cup in STL. Next up is finding the opening for the Boss Cross races (think those guys are still trying to find dry ground).

Speaking of Gateway Cross, is it just me or is this the weakest promoted UCI event ever? Very interested to see the turnout.

This past weekend I got in some solid riding with some quality hill intervals on Saturday and went with Ira to Warsaw on Sunday to do a little mtb'ing (I know, I said I hung it up, but the opportunity presented itself). The SS Champs were going on at Warsaw and I needed an easy longer ride instead of pushing the limits for the 2nd day in a row so I got in 3hrs of ss pedaling while Ira killed it to bag a 5th place in the 'fast guys' race. The temps were pretty cool and made for a great morning.

Just a couple days until we send Jake off to SBU (a whopping three blocks away). We'll see him plenty, but just in a new way from now on - weird!

Funny (to me, not so much with Deb) thing; over the weekend I taught Ian how to drive the scooter by himself. I remember being 10 and riding a mini-bike all over the place; it was a blast and I totally understood his anxiousness. So while Deb was in SGF Ian quickly got the hang of it and was cruising all over the backyard (and doing well). Yesterday while I mowed he jumped on it again and was having fun until... I asked him to park it in the garage (not thinking much of it) and as I came around the corner there he was pretty shook (physically fine) with the scooter laying on the ground at the side of my Durango; he T-Boned it! Put a solid dent in the truck, busted up the fairing on the front a bit, but he wasn't hurt. We had a long talk about controlling speed and being safe, shared a bunch of hugs, and laughed it off. We went inside... Deb was not over joyed with me; sad how I felt 10 myself again apologizing just like I did when I was growing up (guess I still am).

No comments:

Post a Comment