Monday, August 22, 2011

Two Ends of the Education Spectrum

Deb and I are still shaking our heads with slight laughter as last Thursday we dropped off Ian for his first day of his last year at Intermediate School, then Darion (our little guy) for his first day of Kindergarten, then later in the morning got Jake moved into Southwest Baptist University for his freshman year... that's a 13yr spread!

So last week was alot of fun seeing everyone get excited about their new beginnings, but it was especially tough getting Jake prep'ed for leaving us. We know it's physically only four or five blocks away, but it's the not hearing about his day every evening at dinner or quite knowing what's happening in his life - wierd stuff. He joined us dropping off the little boys (which they loved) and we snagged a 'Brenda's' breakfast before loading him up. Move in went super smooth and by day's end when we left him it just all seemed 'right'. No tears from mom, but lots of hugs initiated by Jake. It's nice that we are close by if he needs something, but knowing Jake it will be infrequent that we see him (at least for a while).



Friday morning Dale and I got in a couple hour 'cross ride on the backroads and at noon I got in an hour of basketball (been a couple weeks since I was last on the hardcourt). I like a good basketball workout once a week as it does a good job getting my running and agility skills sharpened.

Saturday I jumped on the road for a 3:15hr easy cruise meeting Deb and the boys (from now on 'the boys' will reference only Ian and Darion) at Nemo Park on Pomme De Tarre lake where my folks were camping in their new rig. Good ride taking me west to Fair Play, north to Dunnegan, Humansville, Weablue, then east to Wheatland, Hermitage, then down to Nemo.

Spent the morning checking out mom and pop's new 37ft travel trailer and it is awesome! The boys and folks played at the beach for a while before loading up and heading to Bolivar for lunch. Good times

.

Saturday afternoon everyone snagged a solid nap and the evening was spent hanging out doing some lawn maintenance and playing with the boys.
Sunday morning I met Dale, David, and Nate for a 2hr 'cross ride which included 2 x 30min race simulation at SBU. I was cooked by the end of it; solid deposit in the pain bank.

The rest of the morning had us at church and the afternoon more playing and yard work. Jake dropped in to say hey and do a little lite cooking for his small group; he was on cloud nine and loving his new adventure. Broke out the supplies and started gluing up my tubulars. I am a multi-day process guy so hopefully by Wednesday I can give them a 'roll around' and check the quality of my work.

Got a rest/recovery seven days coming up starting Thursday and am looking forward to it. Toying around the though of racing a crit Saturday evening in Sedelia

No comments:

Post a Comment