Friday, August 5, 2011

Friday Morning Bliss

Always interesting to me that the closer 'cross comes the more I blog...

This morning (Friday) was a long awaited return of the 'Friday Morning Mistress Ride' ('cross bikes early AM on the back dirt/gravel roads of Polk County). Sure I've been getting in some rides and more and more on the 'cross bike, but to me there is something satisfying about getting in a solid 3hr cruise Friday mornings. I think mentally it sets my weekend up for quality stuff on Saturday and Sunday (or if I need to skip one it's not a big deal).

This morning almost fell through as the lightening was still popping right up until our 6am departure. Dale and David were on board and we headed out northeast to hit up some lumpy gravel I hadn't seen in a while.

Interesting side note on Polk County backroads: a handful of years ago they chip-n-sealed tons of our favorite routes, but over the past couple of hard winters they have broken to bits. Instead of patching or re-covering they have dropped tons of a fine/medium gravel mixture to make them somewhat passable to autos; this is perfect for us as 'cross bike routes are re-opened (hate riding asphalt on these rides).

3hrs in the saddle was just right as the skies opened up with lightening and rain as we pulled into town. Great ride and super company. Nice adding David to our mix as he if fairly new to 'cross riding but pretty strong rider none the less.

My gym work seems to be paying off as my core and legs feel more sharp with every session. Dale has joined me for some and laughs about feeling the results for days...

Heading out this afternoon for a three day get-away with the family to Branson. Not sure yet if I am taking a bike... nice thing about this being a hobby. Our little guy is hyped to go to 'Hundred Dollar City' (correctly incorrect for SDC) on Sunday then White Water on Monday; he told us he has never stayed in a hotel before so this is all a new experience; fun to share. The bigger boys always have fun when we head out of town as a group and no reason to expect this to be any different.

A couple fun/cool things coming down the pipeline on the MWI front and will share as they develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment