Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Game Face


In preparation of the upcoming 'cross season I am going with the 'Last of the Mohican's' cut to get the intimidation effect over my competition... not really, read on.

So I'd grown my hair since January (light trims to keep it healthy and manageable) and was bound and determined to let it grow for a year, but holy cow it was driving me nuts!!! Yesterday I had had enough and so Deb got out the clippers and just like that I was back to zero head maintenance; awesome! But, during the process she cut me a nice little mohawk; the boys thought it was awesome (and so did I). I seriously asked Deb if I could keep it for a couple days for fun, but since tomorrow we take a youngster to kindergarten, one to 5th grade, and one to college I was DENIED!

Yesterday at lunch I got out and drove the bike a little over an hour at SBU opening up the legs for the evening's Sac Dirt Short Track race in SGF. Pretty good (quality over quantity) group showed for the last of the series and just like that it was game one. After having fun on the 'cross bike last week I decided to give it another whirl and after 1 lap I had a decent little gap on the field. JBrackett jumped to me as we hit the single track and I was surprisingly able to hold his mtb wheel though it and as we got to an opening I had a mechanical and dropped to 6th or 7th place. Quickly fixed I took off in pursuit feeling about as sharp as I had all year and making up ground quickly. Closing in on Mark G and poof, the rear goes flat and my race was over; bummer! Cale ended up with another win, JB second, Mark G third and Ira snagged a 4th. While it is a fast course there are just enough rough spots to keep 34mm wheels on the edge and I crossed over it. Oh well, fun evening and good for the moral as the preseason work is feeling good.

Dale, me, Ira, Mark, JB, and Cale

As mentioned above, big day tomorrow for the boys as they head back to school and Jake moves to a whole new stage in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment