Monday, October 19, 2009

Road Trip(s)!!!!

Friday after work Deb and I were in SPR with some friends and ate at a good little Mexican joint (El Puente's so something like that) on the south side. The biggest (single serving) plate of Shrimp Fajitas I have ever seen (and eaten). We kicked around the big town for a while after before heading back to Bodunklivar.

A full weekend of 'cross racing was on tap and the initial plan was for Deb and I to solo the weekend, but Ian has a little cough and light fever coming and going so she opted to stay home and keep an eye on him. So...

Saturday morning bright and early Dale and I load up the Mini Cooper and point it toward Topeka, KS for the Capital Cup 'Cross race (a little over 3hr drive). We both signed up in the masters (me 40+ and he 50+) events and got in some laps before the start. The course was super flat and pretty fast (only a couple tight spots) until the last 400 meters where you entered the 'Mound of Mercy' (by the way, that is the official name for it). A quick climb up and around the backside takes you to a hard right hander and to a barrier a the bottom of a dismount and run up a decently steep long climb. It then goes a short flat top with a quick (super short and tight) drop and climb to another flat top, decent to the bottom with a 170* right hander to barrier (immediately there), run up steep long climb, remount at top and ride back down (and the finish was less then 50 meters after all this. The warm up laps told me this was going to hurt toward the end of each lap.

Toe'd the line for my first masters race and 3/4 way through I was with Josh Taylor and another guy and comfortably setting in 6th/7th and gaining on a couple in front of us. We came through a barrier section and during the remount (still in the air) my bike twisted a little and I thought 'this landing is not going to be good' and it wasn't. I hit so hard at such an odd angle that I burped my tubeless rear and went from 35lbs to 18lbs in a milli-second. Josh heard it and made a comment out loud that I was thinking internally and told me to hang in there. I was able to keep with them for 3/4 of a lap, but the rear was all over the place in every corner and I lost contact. On the last lap I hit the pits, swapped out tires, and watched several go by during the process. I caught a couple of them and finished 11th. Disappointed, but had a great time so no regrets. Let's get this out of the way quick - Yes Scott, I did burp and have to change out the tubeless, but it was totally user error and could have rolled a tubie just as easy with my bonehead remount. Ran the tubeless every other race for the weekend and they are great. On a side note I now have (thanks to Crusty) 4 Conti tubes (removable valve cores) in my possession for low-pressure days.

Dale finished strong in his group and loved every minute of it; so much that 30 minutes later he was back racing in the Cat 4 Masters event where he finished 5th.

I had a couple hours off until my Cat 3 race, but before you know it it was time to saddle up again. This was the first time I had doubled up in '09 and it took a little bit to get the legs back open as my race start would witness. I was easily in the back quarter after 1000 meters, but quickly went to work finding my way through the field. By the end I finished 7th and was satisfied with the day.



A quick 3hr drive home, cleaning up gear, repacking for the next day, goof around with the family for the rest of the evening, and off to bed.

Sunday morning and Ira picks me (and gear) up and off to west KCK for the Blvd Cup races. 2 1/2hrs (one way). Ira races strong and nabs a 6th place in the 4 event and I my start sucks once again and claw my way to 9th in the 3's. Solid fun course that had a little of everything in it. Crusty actually showed up ready to ride... warm up laps. He played Superfan once again as he can't shake the bug (was slightly disappointed in the lack of day-glow jumpsuit and the 'three cowbell ringer'). Scotty started his new 'all nighter' gig and couldn't make the weekend, but am hoping he is back in the mix next weekend at Smithville (he now works 4 days on and 4 off, so not sure his schedule).
I got a weird mental thing going on at the start of my races where I just can't will myself to mix it up right off the bat and go for the 'hole shots' and that needs to change if I want to move up the ranks at the finish. I will admit I am having more fun this year simply racing and not being so focused on how I finish, but still I wouldn't mind being closer to the front at the onset and not playing catch up every time. Like I said, I am having much more fun this year than most in the past and can't wait for the next weekend/race to get here.

2 1/2 hrs back home and Deb had a roast, home made mashed potatoes and gravy, and sides ready for dinner - AWESOME! Ian was still a hair under the weather so after a couple games of Sorry! and catching Amazing Race it was lights out for him.

So to sum up: 11hrs of road time in a little over 36hrs (all routine for SWMO racers). I could have stayed in KC with Crusty, but hate that Dale and Ira would have had to drive alone each day. I enjoy their company too much so it made the time fly each day. OK, so the pics to the right have me smiling in each one; that is not a distorted look of pain, it is actually smiling as I am racing hard, but absolutely enjoying every minutes of it!

Jake had a great 'catch up' weekend as he slept until almost 1pm on Saturday, got to hang out (and sleep over) with a buddy, hang out more with friends on Sunday, and generally had a fun weekend. He has raced so many weekends in a row that is was good for one off and let the body and mental side of him recover/relax. He was in bed (on his own) around 9:15 Sunday evening so that was good to see.

Looks to be a pretty routine week with Ian's basketball team's first game Friday evening at The Courts. Racing Sunday at Smithville so pretty regular training week for me. Might double up again, but will have to see come Sunday.

Side Notes: I love to hear STL and KC (mostly STL) folks whine and cry about having to drive an hour to a race and to have their buddies talk about how hard-core and committed they are when they actually drive a couple hours to an event. SWMO folks do this every freaking weekend and never gripe about it as that is just the way it is for us. SPR sucks from a 'racing' perspective (not only bike stuff, but off-road running, AR's, O-courses...).

***Pics provided by Lyle Reynolds, Steve Tilford, and Dale Sargent****

1 comment:

  1. The 'Dale loved every minute of it' may have been true a couple hours after the fact, but in the middle of it I was looking for some glass to run over so as to have a legit reason to bail out.

    Entering a second race with a 30 minute rest period is, repeat after me, STOOPID! ...but fun two hours later.

    Dale

    ReplyDelete