Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Early Week (Updated...)

So Monday was scheduled as a light active rest day so I planned to go play a little noon-ball at SBU at lunch and like I said keep it light. After seeing the quality of players who showed I quickly realized it was an interval day. We split teams and I ended up guarding one of SBU's recently graduated points guards and he worked my butt off for 1:30hrs. Seven games later it was all I could do to drag myself off the court; but we did come out on top 4-3. That workout was every bit as intense/strenuous as the 'cross races the days prior. I was cooked.

We all took it easy for the evening (except for Deb who grabbed a ride) and I whipped up dinner for the crew. It's always funny how when I cook it is a BIG deal and I need much affirmation of what WONDERS I created while Deb does it nightly and she gets a 'great meal' from time to time; pretty sad and I (the boys just follow my lead) need to work on that more (not right away mind you, but eventually...). Ian is lightly still under the weather so we had to sit on him to keep him still and resting.

Tuesday morning found Ian feeling a little better before school.

1:45hrs light spin on the Frisco Trail (FT) at lunch. The upper (north end) of the Frisco is quite a bit rougher than the middle/south parts and today was the first time I saw a recumbent cruising it. Guy had pretty skinny tires and can't believe he was enjoying the day, but who knows maybe he was. Felt good just to let the legs spin easy; great weather for the FT (blocks most of the winds). Saw at least 10 snakes sunning themselves on the trail; good thing Deb was not with me as she gets a little freaked out around snakes.

SCOTT - Thought you might like this as it would bring back memories... Snuck out (actually not really sneaking when you have no set hours) a little early today to watch some of Jake's XC workout as they (at least he did) hit 16 quarter repeats on the track today; first set 5 x 2secs above race pace (1:19 for J as Coach had him on a 5:10 mile race pace), 5 x AT race pace (1:17 for J), 5 x 2sec below race (1:15), and last was a 100% blast. All reps had 45 seconds rest between and 2 minutes between sets. Jake hit every effort on the nose and snuck just a hair under 60 seconds for his blast. He referenced later that this is one of the hardest workouts they do all year. ***first clip is one of the beginning of a 1:17 repeat and the second is of the last blast where in the entire team went at once; Jake is the one off the front***



Ian's basketball practice went pretty good and at the end they scrimmaged a local 4th girls team who have played together for several years and all are head and shoulders (literally) taller than our guys. The boys are really athletic but struggling a little to learn specific positions of the offense; but hey they are in 3rd grade and that's what 3rd graders do. So much info to lodge into the brains of 8yr olds... I really like the group we have assembled.

Rest of the evening had me fabricating the Pauls Chain Keeper (arrived today) as the seat tube base is far thicker than the largest diameter Paul's makes; and to add to the frustration the front derailleur pulley bolt sits smack in the middle of the mount area. By night's end I wound up hacking off the clamp/crimp that holds the actual keeper and working it to fit the SRAM front derailleur clamp. It works/fits like it was made that way and all I have left to do is some touch up paint and removing the inner chain ring (will do after intervals today). Talked with a couple guys who use the Pauls and they are loving it.



Ian and grabbed a little breakfast at our local diner this morning before 'late-start Wednesday' and guess who showed up... Jake and a 'friend'. They sat on the opposite side of the room and it was all I could do to keep Ian from giving his bro a hard time; although it didn't stop me from texting the boy a couple times to make him blush. They stopped by our table on the way out and laughed about my texts.


On a different note: Our cat is awesome and this is a rare shot of him actually NOT laying on his back for a photo; just in our folded laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment