Monday, October 26, 2009

How Can I Package This Past Weekend and Sell It?

Long and Short Report: A great sneak away with Deb in KC and a 'cross race to boot... Kind of hard to beat weekend all-around.

HUGE PHOTO DUMP of Smithville CX




Longer Version: One of the best weekends in some time and I am still wearing a smirk... Here's how it went:

Friday after work I dropped down to the SBU XC course and watched the team his a 3k 100% blast. Jake and company looked pretty good on the soggy course. He is looking more confident that I have every seen before. This Saturday is Judgement Day (district meet) on the SBU course as the top 15 runners move on to State. You would think with his quality runs as of late he would be a shoe-in, but considering our district has the #1 (West Plains) and possibly #3 (McDonald County) teams in the state and at least 16 kids have all ran in the 17min range Jake will have to have a solid day. My mind tells me he is through to State, but you never know until the race is over (that's why they run it). Weather shows rain four of the next six days so the course will be a mudder/slop fest (in which Jake has had success this year).

Got home in time to load up, head to SPR, and coach Ian's first basketball game at The Courts. He (and his teammates) had been pumped all day and were tough to settle down prior to tip-off. The kids played tough and Ian was solid (as always), but took their first 'L' this year. Ian continues to impress me with his left and right ball handling and 'court awareness' that is far beyond his age as demonstrated in the below clips he either shakes free for a shot or finds teammates while dribbling (with either hand) for open shots. They are so far ahead of where we were last year that I am anticipating a fun experience. My mom and dad showed up as well as Grandma Smith and after the game we all grabbed some chow and then Deb, Ian, and I went back to watch Bolivar's 4th grade team play (they got pounded).
Early Saturday Deb and I packed up a few things, loaded my racing gear, and headed off to KC for a little bit of 'us' time (and a race on Sunday... imagine that). Hit KC around lunch so we kicked it off with some Gates and a little shopping at Midwest Cycles (Crusty guided us that way). Checked into hotel and dropped off bike, hit some shopping, and topped off the afternoon with some Cold Stone ice cream. Hopped on the trainer for some 'openers' then back out for dinner and a movie (Couples Retreat - Vince Vaughn; pretty decent).
Super late Sunday morning wake up and lounging before off to Einstein's for bagel sandwiches and coffee. Rolled over to Smithville Lake for round #3 of the De Stadt series. Fun having Deb there watching. Course was fun (super fun) with a couple challenging up-n-overs as one of them was at the end of a 40 or so meter beach/mud section that surprisingly was rideable. I have no 'mad skills' as some like to put it, so I was about 50/50 when it came to cleaning the technical run/ride ups (fine example in one of the below videos). Told myself to actually try for a good opening spot and hit the first turn in 3rd (huge accomplishment for me) and maintained that spot until halfway through the race a guy slammed into my rear wheel (not his fault) after I dabbed coming off the beach and it took a little 'fixing' to get my rear brake to work again. Turns out (didn't know it at the time) my rear wheel was tweaked in the dropouts and now I have a little less pad on one side from the wheel rubbing the rest of the day. Actually glad to hear that's what it was as I thought my legs were giving out although I felt like I should have been going faster. No big deal as I was able to hold on to 6th (38 starters) and move up a hair on the overall standings (I hope). Still having the most fun racing in a long time.
Crusty toed the line in his Sunday's best and some fancy HED wheels (wipe the saliva from lower lip...). Not sure how he finished (word has it he was giving lessons in 'mad skills'), but just glad to have him back in the saddle and racing. By the way, its 1 - 0 in favor of Bodunklivar.





Loaded up the race gear, did a little bit of shopping, then dropped south to see the boys (after a quick stop at the H1N1 outlet for post-race nutrition). On a side note: Backyard Burgers (especially the Black N Blue) is a good joint for a quick burger. Boys were ready for our return, but no blood was found and each had all limbs so they must have gotten along somewhat.

Dale and I grabbed a 1:30hr spin at lunch today and all the rain missed up. Easy ride to spin out the legs from yesterday's efforts.

Kinda routine week except for Deb gets new carpet in the house tomorrow. Tuesday Ian's b-ball practice in the evening, Friday games in SPR, Saturday Jake's District, and Sunday is off to the races in Lawrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment