Thursday, October 1, 2009

Switch-er-oooo

No, not THIS one; I'm talking about heeding Scotty D's instruction (sort of) and getting the front derailleur back on (for now). After the chain drop twice on last weekend's race I put in an order for a Pauls keeper early Monday morning. By Wednesday I had not received notification it was shipped so I contacted the online shop and was told it was on back order (even though I was told it was 'in stock') with no ETA on delivery. I checked 20 shops and none had it, but a group out of Sacramento, CA called me back late last night (yes, that's right - 9:30pm) to let me know he found one and it will go out this Friday - sweet. Until then I'm using my front d as a guard (without shifter cable); moved the 42t to the outer ring and after some test rides/alterations it is set up. Rode 30min this morning (in light rain) and got it pretty much dialed in, but will get the real test at lunch today as Ira and I hit SBU for weekly intervals (missed it yesterday as work piled up and still felt big gear effort from Tuesday).

Tuesday after work I dropped by Jake's XC practice and watched the pain - 7 x 1 mile repeats. The allergens were super high and Jake was struggling with his asthma, but was keeping his repeats to 5:30-5:50 range (first on at 5:20) with minimal recovery between. Frustrating to watch him far ahead of the rest with no one to push him; he is doing everything pretty much on his own. Tuesday evenings b-ball practice went really good and E-ball skill level continues to increase. I think having our 3rd graders practice/workout with a 4th grade team is really bringing out his best. He is stoked as his first pair of 'Jordans' are supposed to arrive today.

Wednesday had me busy at work so no riding. Picked Ian up after work and we drove over to some east Bolivar country roads to provide a little moral support for Jake Wednesdays are his long runs. We ran into him (not literally) as he was a couple miles out from finishing a 14 miler; once again he was alone as the others went around 10. That made for a 18 mile day (4miles in the AM) and his rear end was dragging by the time he got home. Deb was out on a ride with Marla so I whipped some dinner together (OK, so Deb had it all ready and I just had to combine and heat it) as Jake grabbed some 'to go' since he was already late for Focus (church youth worship). Got all my yard work done and the rest of the evening was low key (little football catch with Ian, folding some laundry, slapping the derailleur on the rig...

Early AM ride in light rain to dial in the new setup. The day started off great.

Just a couple observations:

#1 Is it a good thing to have less than 40% completion rate in Adventure Races? Sure, the ones that finish feel a sense of accomplishment, but as a promoter it seems like the 'I'm going to conqueror it next year' .vs. 'screw that' with such a high entry fee is weighted toward a decline in attendance. Seriously, put on an event with an over 80% completion rate and I swear they will keep coming back (and even bring more). The day of 36hr 'local' racing is a dying breed and events like Castlewood (5-8hrs) is the cash cow (for everyone)... and I don't want to hear about 'staying true to the true AR'ing'.

#2 What in heck is wrong with Whoopie G. and her band of Hollywood nut balls?!?!?!?! What is 'not rape rape' when a guy drugs up a 13yr old and forces her to have sex?!?!?! As much of a whack job Michael Jackson was, he was donned as a 'pedophile freak' even though he was never charged or convicted of wrong doing, but 'take it easy on Roman' is the cry of the west coast elite for a convicted/self admitting juvenile rapist (who fled the country).

No comments:

Post a Comment