Monday, October 5, 2009

The Way Family Weekends Are Supposed to Be

So I skipped a couple cross races in KC this weekend and figured it would really start bothering me by Sunday afternoon, but you know what... it didn't. Guess that's why it's a hobby that comes behind family and not much more. As posted below, Jake won his first XC race and obviously the rest of the day he was on cloud nine, Deb and I spent some quality time together, and more balls were tossed and hit with Ian than a person could count. I got in a light ride on Saturday and a light run on Sunday (it's Monday morning and I feel rejuvenated and ready to hit it hard early this week.

Speaking of Sunday: Randy came by with the Orbea and we got him dialed in. He is having a ball on his new rig and I suckered another one into the fold of riding. Deb and Ian hit Sunday school while I skipped and hit up Jake for a light 4 mile run. He was still dead asleep when I asked if he wanted to go;; it was around 9:30am. I expected to hear a growl and end up going alone, but to my dismay as I was heading out the door there he was ready to go. He knows these times mean the world to me and that I would trade most anything anytime for those few minutes of striding, huffing and puffing, laughing, and catching up on guy stuff together. He likes to keep the pace just above my comfort level and stick it to me from time to time and then apologize like he just wasn't paying attention -I know he knows what he's doing; I used to do it to him. What do they say about paybacks...

He and I cleaned up and made it to 10:45 service where I linked up with Deb and Ian. After services the Jones' crew ate in the Fellowship Hall as our Youth Minister laid out this year's plan and schedule. Have I ever mentioned how much I like T&S Jones... some of my favorite folks with whom I initially would have never figured would tolerate my goofiness (it's a given everyone likes Deb so I am usually the 'deal breaker'). I always look to share a table or sit close by them at church stuff for the shear entertainment value.

Got home just in time to do a whole lot of nothing before heading off to E-ball's basketball practice. The kids love when we use SBU's main court. I am liking me crew for this season as they are some scrappers and battlers. Ian had one of his buddies over for COLOSSAL NACHO night. The rest of the evening was pretty low key and just the way we like it.

Oh, I did replace the passenger side window electronic motor (and supporting hardware) so after only 8 months it is back to regular. By the way, that is quite the accomplishment seeing how I am not a 'fix it' kind of guy.

Right before fading off to sleep Deb and I both commented on what a quality family weekend we had. It honestly seems like he have quite a few more than not so good. It's easy when you have quality kids and a hot wife... I mean a wonderful, caring, nurturing, who am I kidding I meant hot!

I thought little about 'cross this weekend, but am itching to hit Chris Cross next weekend in KC. I caught some of the Glouster and World Cup coverage and am wondering if Sven has finally hit the wall and if Albert is the new Nys as he looks it early on.

No comments:

Post a Comment