Saturday, March 6, 2010

I Hope This is Spring Knocking!!!!

Thursday I grabbed a 1:30hr ride at noon and kept the pace pretty high for the duration. I was curious to see how long my fitness would last while sustaining a decent effort... good news, it worked out better than expected.

After work Deb and I went with Ian to Bolivar Intermediate School (BIS) Family Math Night. They set up the evening as a math 'Amazing Race' and kid and parents had to go all over the building following various clues and figure out math problems. The staff did a great job and we had a ton of fun. The rest of the evening was pretty low key. Deb's dad and mom are back in the SWMO area for a couple months so we caught up with them and got Linda to play a Scrabble game with Deb and I while Jim assumed the 'Internet' position.

After track practice Jake spent the majority of the evening at a friend's house playing Settlers of Catan (he loves that game). That kid is on the go quite a bit these days.

Early up-n-at'em Friday morning as the afternoon temps were forecasted in the 60s and I wasn't going to miss that. 2pm and Ira, Dale, and I were on the Frisco Trail heading south. The FT was still soupy in places, which was a little surprising considering it hasn't rained/snowed in a couple weeks. We made it near Willard (2hrs) and it was time to head back and beat the sun disappearing. One the way back (tailwind is always nice even on the FT) Dale took a little spill in a sloppy section and ended up with a busted chin and a rock to the ribs. He's a trooper and didn't let it slow him down. Pulled up to the casa at exactly 4hrs. Good ride and even better temps (sun). There is a dramatic difference in the trail maintanence/conditions on the 'Willard' side compared to the 'Bolivar' end. As I have mentioned before our's is more and more like wide single track (which is fine with me). Notice in the video Dale is sporting his 'Lion of Flanders' jersey (good look).



Let's see, Willard end:
Bolivar end:


After a quick dinner Deb, and I took Ian up to Home Runs Plus and let him hit off the pitching machine for a 1/2 hour as Saturday is his tryouts for a spring/summer competitive baseball team. He is a shoe-in, but needs to hit with more power. He gets frustrated with hitting as most all athletic things are so natural to him and this does not. I like it as for the first time he has to focus and work to see returns and that is a good thing.

Three games of Scrabble closed out the evening (2-1 ME!). Jake spent the evening in SGF with some friends and showed back home around 11pm. We hung out and talked for a little bit before lights out.

Saturday morning we headed to Home Runs Plus for day-one of Ian's baseball tryouts. He (as most kids) looked really good. After tryouts it was straight to SGF for Ian's basketball game at The Courts; Jake and Andie (Jake's friend), the Applebys and my pop (mom was a little under the weather) all showed up. The boys played the only undefeated team and was 3 points ahead with a couple minutes to go and ended up losing by two at the very end. FLORIDA ISN'T THE ONLY PLACE FOR SPRING TRAINING...



Quick burger with the whole crew (Ian got a new pair of cleats from my folks for b-day) and then we split ways. Applebys, Jake, and Andie went to the mall while Deb, Ian and I watched Bolivar High School lose in the State Quarter Finals to Republic (last second shot). After the game we all met back up at Nakato's to celebrate the boys' b-days (two birds one stone).

Back to Bolivar and immediately we shifted into 'Spades' mode. The girls put a whoop'in to us on the last hand for the win. Lights out and looking forward to Ian's b-day in the morning.

Sunday was Ian's 9 yr birthday and we drowned him with hugs and love; presents had to wait until 1pm (family b-day party). While it was early I hopped on the Blue and Deb and the boys went to church. I ended up with 4hrs on in great temps, but a tad windy. I kind of screwed up as I took a wrong road and with 1:15hrs to get home (1pm is non-negotiable) I found myself south of Pleasant Hope (too far with that little time) so I had to go into full on race mode (prior to that I was riding a good tempo, but nothing too demanding). I suffered like a dog, but made it only 3 minutes after 1pm.

The below is a pictorial of towns visited (to include an old rock wall in the middle of no where that looks like it's been there for a long time). I included a shot of the Greene County sign as it means smooth roads...


Walked in the door and chowed on some grilled pizza's while Ian tore into his gifts (Ipod, Rockies baseball jersey, D Cowboys jersey, books, headphones...). After lunch we all took Ian over to day-two of baseball tryouts. Ian was solid (as always) and easily made the crew. Back to the casa and it was Snicker's birthday ice-cream cake. Did a little lawn maintenance in the afternoon and the rest of the day was Spades with the Appleby's (men took home with win), snacking, and updating this blog. Jake hung out at home after some church youth stuff in the early afternoon and had a restful day (which he needs from time to time).

Ian walked in prior to school Monday morning wearing his Tulowitsky jersey (Colorado Rockies). It was a toss up between that one or the Cowboys, but since baseball is in the air...



I slipped out for an easy 1hr spin at lunch as my legs needed a 'rinsing' after yesterday's efforts. Windy out, but not complaining as I was in short sleeves.

Trying to decide when to actually start racing in 2010. I am part of a 6-person TTT at the MWI Gents race (I guess that's what it is; it's free and no winnings, but lots of suffering) on March 20th, but this weekend is the start of United Dirt Federation mtb season south of STL. Ira is thinking of going, but that's a ways over there plus I'll be in KC the next weekend and STL on the one after that... Might just let MWI Gents get things warmed up then start racing for real in STL on the 28th.

No comments:

Post a Comment