Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Oh To Be 17 Again... (Updated Thursday Morning)

... actually there is no way I would want to return to that age, but youth looks good from time to time.

Yesterday (Tuesday) was our first son's 17th birthday; neither Deb nor I can believe we are old enough for this to happen, but the sad fact of it is every year Jake gets older so does SHE (ha!). The morning started off with him opening presents (prior to us going to work) as he was getting ready for track practice (Spring Break practice is at 9am). He was happy with all gifts, but as with most driving teens appeared stoked to get the 'gas card' (later in the day Grandpa Appleby filled up his truck so double prizes). His morning was rewarded with 8 x 800meter repeats on an open grass (a little swampy) field (instead of the track) and his leg is feeling great. After practice Deb and I filled his belly at Sonic (his favorite fast food) and the rest of the day was spent with his new 360X-box game. At his request birthday dinner was Master Wang's (Wong's - depending on which sign you see). Pretty much the entire evening was simply hanging out with him, going over some old pics, and laughter. Both Deb and I are super proud of how he is (has) turned out - blessed we are.


*** The above 'pink bow' pics above is a stab at me as when Jake was born and in intensive care for his first couple weeks of life the nurses would put bows in his hair to give me a hard time as I went on and on about having a boy (and not a girl)***

Ian came down with a nasty sounding cough yesterday so he spend the day taking easy with Grandpa Appleby and after work Deb and I played a little baseball with him. He and I snuck in a little UNC (at the NIT) basketball on the tube before bedtime.

Tuesday was intervals/effort day so I rounded up Ira and Micheal P and we headed out to D Hwy for the '4 Wenches' workout. Ira ran into a pedal issue 1/2 way through and limped home and Micheal and I did likewise after finishing 3 x 20 min. I'm really looking forward to workouts with Micheal as he is pushing me harder than I have in some time.



Wednesday pretty much went like this: played a little basketball at noon (took Ian with me), met Dale for 'after-work' ride and 15mins in it poured (I mean really poured) on us so we cut our planned 2hr ride to a little over 1hr, tried to warm up once home with an awesome dinner of BBQ brisket (potato salad, coleslaw... the whole shebang thanks to Jim and Linda), NIT basketball with Ian, Deb and I played Settlers of Catan with Jake (fun game he got for b-day), COD MW2, then off to bed (late).

Once again my 'intern' is at work for a couple hours Thursday morning (until Jake's track practice is over). Not much gets done when he is around (work that is...) except listening to his renditions of Queen's 'We Are The Champions' and The Hoosiers 'Goodbye Mr. A' - someone please cut my ears off NOW!!!!!



Still trying to figure out this weekend's race agenda as STL is getting pounded with rain and some chance for more on Saturday and Sunday and my 'wet-n-muddy' motivation to mtb is dropping although I do want to get in a race (badly).

No comments:

Post a Comment