Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What Does Retreat Actually Mean

Early to the office on Mistress Day so Ira, Dale, and I hit the back roads for 1:40hrs (they went longer) in what turned out to be a sweet weather day. Hung up the bike and told her I would see her on Monday.

So it is Friday afternoon and Deb, Ian, and I are driving to the little man's game in SGF and he asks where Deb and I are going for the weekend. Deb tells him we are going to a marriage retreat and he asks what that means. I followed up with a question to him to see if he knew what 'retreat' meant and he quickly explained it was to run away from the enemy. Deb and I both chuckled a little bit and before she could explain other meanings I told him he was exactly correct and the weekend was designed to get the heck out of marriage and that one of us would be picking him up on Sunday and you might not see the other for some time. I thought that was funny (as did Ian), but apparently that is not a good way to get a Marriage Retreat weekend kicked off... add it to the list of 'I thought it was funny' and most others didn't... like when I told the marriage retreat table with whom we were sitting we would leave the spankings up to Randy when Shirlene's birthday was announced - nothing/silence/crickets chirping in the distance...

Ian's team played super hard, but came up short to lose a lead in the last two minutes and get a L. Ian was pretty disappointed as were most kids and I felt bad for them. They played so hard, but easy shots were going everywhere but in.

After the game Ian headed out with Grandpa Jones for the weekend. Deb and I grabbed a quick bite before scooting on down to Branson for our churches annual marriage retreat. I historically am not a fan of sitting in lecture style 'sessions' as 1) I hate to sit for too long anywhere 2) Don't try to get 'deep' with me and simply understand that this weekend is more about Deb and I and not 'knee to knee' time and trying to solve years of marrital problems in a 3 session time frame and 3) don't take life so freaking serious - what makes it hard is folk's inability to make sound decisions and if you don't have it by the time you are 30(ish) it ain't going to really happen for you. ***Obviously I am not a professional counselor and the prior comments reflect none of the ideology of Deb (who is neither a counselor, but much more reflective of other's thoughts and needs***

So the first session begins at 7pm and we get there around 7:45pm or so. Rodney Reeves is heading up the sessions and he is one of few folks to whom I look forward listening. Session ends around 9:30ish and immediately 7UP 7DOWN (card game) kicks in and later I emerge victorious. Deb and I crash for night.

Up and at'em not so early and snag some breakfast and coffee at Panera. Hit session #2 on time and a little after 12:30pm it's free time. Deb and I bust on the Nike shop and load up for Ian and Jake's spring sports. Next Andy's, followed with Shutter Island, dinner with a group at Rocky's (next to The Landing), which is a transplanted STL 'Hill' Italian place. Back to the hotel/conference room for Game Night followed by a group of us watching Book of Eli. Yes, two movies one day; Deb and I love the movies and don't get a chance to veg in front of them too often so we maximized the day.

Sunday morning Panera again with some friends, then session #3 and a worship service; out around 12pm. Tom, Sarah (good friends), Deb and I hit (wait for the name... wait for it) Billy Bob's Dairyland for some awesome burgers (old fashioned mom and pop style place). After that it's to Crane and pick up Ian. Hung out a little bit with my mom (dad was hauling cattle) and then it was off to Bolivar.


Got to see Jake 10 minutes before he headed off to a friend's house for the afternoon. I miss that boy!

Ian and I hit the gym for shooting and then the rest of the evening was Amazing Race, getting the house back in order and sleep.

Two days off the bike had me refreshed and ready to a good workout on Monday.

Monday was a Monday with loads of work and tired bodies. Mid-afternoon I headed off to Bolivar High School's first day of Track & Field practice where I volunteered to coach the jumpers again... I know, I decided to take the year off, but I love it and it gives me more opportunity to watch Jake in action. Speaking of 'the boy', the coaches selected him as one of the team captains for 2010; he is the first junior to hold this position and we are super proud (not only his running ability, but more of his leadership and responsibility to the whole instead of the one). I have a decent crew of jumpers this year with one in particular that will be a state player for the overall in high jump (my college coach's daughter - funny).

Got home in time for Ian and I to hit SBU and play some indoor baseball catch in the multi while Deb was getting dinner ready. Back home, chowed down, got crushed in Scrabble, then on the trainer for 1:20hrs and my first interval efforts of 2010. Fitness is ahead of this time last year.

Tuesday mid-morning and Deb rings me that she just signed for a big box and before she could continue I was downstairs unloading my BLUE!!!!! I had a ton to do at work so I waited until late afternoon to take her home. I planned to jump on the trainer for an light hour, but went right to the tool kit and started putting her together. Finally had to drop the fun and get back to the office.

Out of the office, eat a quick bite with Deb and Ian then he and I were off to his basketball practice. Returned home to change up clothes and make my intramural basketball game at SBU. Old guys rule and it drives the college kids nuts. Put the finishing touches on the BLUE (ready to ride) and turned in late (too late).

2 comments:

  1. You didn't mention, is Rocky's worth eating at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely!!! Pretty much any Italian coming from "The Hill" is tasty

    ReplyDelete