Friday, March 19, 2010

Cycling, Running, Choir, and Pie

So about a month ago Ian let us know he was trying out for a part in his upcoming 3rd grade choir concert, we assumed it was a short speaking part. and dismissed it a little. A couple days later he reported he was up for a singing part and he seemed pretty excited. Soon there after he came home with a solo singing part, his line he needed to sing, and a copy of the music. Every time we got in the car we put on the music and he practiced and practiced (and practiced and practiced...). Deb and I couldn't believe he was doing this on his own as we don't really do much with singing (although Deb has a beautiful voice and competed in high school). Last night was his concert and all day he was crazy nervous...

Wednesday was a chilly humid day out (still feeling Monday's double interval sessions and two b-ball sessions Tuesday) so I opted to move my rest day from Thursday (forecasted 60*+) to Wednesday. Took the opportunity in the evening to do a ton of needed bike maintenance: new rings on the mtb, set up the tubeless mtb tires/wheels, mount cycling computer to Blue... a couple hours out in the shop and all set for the spring.
.
Got word the MWI Gentleman's race in KC was cancelled due to potential bad weather for Saturday morning (supposed to snow quite a bit and in the low 30's). Now trying to decide if I will do the Dogwood Road Race (big climbing) Sunday morning near Branson; will depend on the conditions that morning.
.
Thursday was the start of the NCAA Madness and Jim and I do our part in sluffing off work to watch on our SmartBoard in the conference room. It was a tough decision leaving early (2pm), but the temp outside was hitting 60* and I needed some longer hill efforts so out I went for 2 hours which included hill repeats (four climbs all branching off of Jefferson Bridge on D Hwy: 1:30min - east, 4min - north, 2min - west, 5min - south). Each one of these has unique pitches and requires a different strategy of attack.
.
On my way back into town I passed the track distance team and one of them said Jake was up ahead. I cruised on past the group and found my boy gliding along on his own way off the front. As I approached we told me to ride along with him for a while as he gets bored always being alone. I needed to get back to the office, but there was no chance I was passing up on his request. They were doing a 5 mile tempo run and he said his leg was feeling pretty good, but could still feel a light twinge in his lower leg (couldn't tell as he flowed along); he said it was fine and I could tell he was happy back with his crew and workouts (AM and PM).
.
Got back to the office in time to go with my mom, dad, Jim, and Cheri to each some Chinese food prior to Ian's concert (Deb and the Appleby clan were munching on pizza at the house). Pulled up to the house in time to hop in with Deb and Ian and head to the school auditorium; Ian was a little freaked. Deb and I did our best to remind him of all his practice and that is was only one line and he knew it... didn't appear to help much.
.
Lights go down, curtain up and it was showtime. Ian ended up with Deb, Jake, Grandma/pa Jones, Grandma/pa Appleby, Mandee, Tanner, Tucker, Jim, Cheri, Alexandra, and I watching (not too shabby). Several numbers and speaking parts were performed and then it was Ian's turn with his crew. Without a hitch the boy nailed his lyrics and in perfect tune. His placement on the stage was pretty dark so I was unable to get a good clean pic/video, but here is what I got:



Afterwards the Jones' crew snacked on desserts at a local diner. It was a fun time of homemade pies (Deb went with gooseberry and coconut-cream for me) and laughter; Ian was on cloud nine knowing he did a great job. Back to the casa and everyone hit the beds as it was getting late.


So to recap my day: NCAA tourney, great hill interval ride, #1 son asked me to hang out, #2 son sings great, and finally PIE; shoot me now as it won't get much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment