Monday, July 19, 2010

Back in the Triathlon Ring...

It's been nearly five years since I competed on the triathlon scene and looks like I am hopping back into it. Since I have done a million sprints and Olympic distances and racked up a 1/2 IM, the only logical next step is... A YMCA parent/child race this weekend (and you thought it was going to be a full IM, please) with Ian here in Bolivar. We will swim a whopping 50meters, bike 1.5 miles, then run 1 mile. Eball (now E-stroke) has been swimming some laps at the pool with me and as nutty as it sounds he has immediately excelled at this also. After just a brief bit of instruction he is already an alternating stoke side breather and can knock out a 50 in under 1 minute 20 seconds; pretty sure he'll swim with Bolivar's summer team next year. He is stoked about the tri except for the fact he is the youngest in his division (he's 9 and the group is 9-12), but he'll give me a run (bike and swim) for their money. It will be fun and am looking forward to competing with my youngest as Jake and I have won several parent/child competitions in the past.

On a slightly more serious note: not a whole lot happening at the 'training/racing' front as I am taking the rest of July off from any type of serious riding (with the exception of Sunday's St. John's crit).

Last Friday Dale, Ira, and I ventured out with our girlfriends to some long lost rodes in NE Polk County (hadn't been up one these roads in over a year). Even leaving at 6am it made for a hot 3hrs with the humidity... (well, you know as you live in it too).

Friday evening Ian, Deb, and I grabbed some grub in SGF and did some light shopping while Jake had a bunch of friends over to watch some movies. Ian likes CiCi's pizza so that's where we ate and the clientele is an interesting mix of folks (sort of the WalMart of eating establishments). Spent a late night doing some final tune-ups on the scooter; hit the bed way after 1am.

Saturday was 100% relax around the casa; which included some TdF watching, Farmer's Market, breakfast at Brenda's, napping, Catan, napping, movie fest with Ian and Deb while Jake had a bunch of friends over for more movies. It was too freaking hot to do anything outside so inside we stayed.

Sunday was more TdF and yard work before the heat set in. The afternoon was spent with friends in SGF watching 'Inception'; a super good flick worth seeing in the theater.

Monday early morning I snagged 1:30hrs on the bike and I came in totally drenched from the humidity; like swimming in warm pool water. Speaking of swimming, I jumped in the SBU pool for my 4th lap workout Monday evening. I forgot how much of a total body workout swimming provides and how it makes you regulate and emphasises deep controlled breathing. Kind of surprised how quickly my stroke has come back to me as I am feeling 'slippier' thru the water with every workout. Right now I am simply swimming laps, but over the winter I might incorporate drills and even sharpen the stroke... maybe an IM isn't that far out of sight after all.

Celebrating my 19th wedding anniversary with Deb today. Both of us totally forgot about it until this morning. We spent the evening in SGF trying out Hu-Hot Mongolian (it was good, but not great) and capping the night with dessert and coffee at the Mud House. Got home in time to watch an incredible lightening storm under an umbrella on the back patio while it lightly rained on us. Can't believe it has been 19 years as it seems like it's only been a couple since I said "You bet" (instead of 'I Do'). Need to come up with something special for our 20th...

Jake's pleurisy might be on the mend as he started back with some light miles this week and so far so good. He heads off to Joe Bill Dixon's (legendary XC coach from West Plains) running camp near Hermann this Sunday. He is pretty behind on his mileage, but with all the years of running in his legs he'll bounce back quickly. He has pretty much commandeered my scooter and my chance of seeing/using it again are fading.

No comments:

Post a Comment