Friday, July 30, 2010

Last Week of Bike Vacation...

This week was pretty low key as I stayed both off the bike and out of the heat. Played several days of noon-ball and swam (keeps getting better and better). Decided to take the entire week of the rig until Sunday.

Tuesday evening was the Bandits End of Season swim party at the head coach's house and everyone had a great time. Three of us adults tried going dive for dive with the kids and for the most part we kept up (a little sore the next morning). I've never done some many Gainers and front 1 1/2s in my life. The toughest part was going toe to toe with Ian on the belly-busters - my chest and stomach are still torch red.

We broke out the ping pong table the other night and it has been on (like Donkey Kong) ever since...

Wednesday evening I headed out to pick up Jake from XC camp southeast of Hermann. Leaving Bolivar around 9:30pm I stopped in a Wally World parking lot in Owensville for the night and crashed in the truck. Early wake up on Thursday had me at camp around 7am; in time to watch a little running action before packing up the crew. Ran into a couple coaches I had not seen in years and it was good to catch up. Jake's said he kept the intensity level pretty low all week and his lungs didn't bother him too much. He (and the other two kids) had a great time and was glad he went. Here's to his pleurisy staying down and a solid senior year.

Thursday evening Jake put on a major butt whoop'in in a 3-1 (I took the defeat) death ping pong match. First time he's ever taken a series from me. I have a good idea what is on tap for most of the weekend.

Today I continued to play hookie from the bike (made it all week without riding) and once again grabbed some basketball at noon. Once again the AC was off and it was way cooler outside than in the gym - brutal!

Not a lot on tap for this weekend other than Sunday starts day 1 of '10 'cross. Looking forward to getting it going and having the Tuesday Dirt Crits at Sac this coming week. Hoping it's 'cross friendly, but won't be a big deal if it isn't as the mtb is ready to go. Saw that St. John's team is having another Waffle Race on August 17th; the first one was a good time and will have to choose between the dirt crit and it.

It's been some time since I raced on tubulars, but I snagged a cheap solid set off of Ebay the other day and am looking forward to the hopeful improvements they make in the sloppy stuff (struggled at the last few races in the mud with some non-mud type clinchers).

Just compared Jake's XC race schedule against my CX and it appears only 1 conflict (State Championship weekend). That is great news for me. Speaking of schedules, It looks like a little over 20 race dates on the '10 crusade (and several of those will include doubling up races with the masters and 3s). Since I am an West Coast Missourian (only 2 hr drive to KC area and its 3 1/2 to STL) it appears no Bubba 'Cross on tap for this year. I have raced both coasts in the past and STL events are incredibly better than they used to be, but KC 'Cross are better courses (at least in my opinion) and more options to race (since they go with masters also). I don't include Jeff Yielding's events as East Coast so much and will make his Hermann events.

Just looked at the forecast for the upcoming days and it is back in the mid/upper 90's here. AM 'cross is my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment