Thursday, July 8, 2010

New Horse In The Stable (Deb's shakes her head and sighs...)

The old saying 'right place at the right time' held true on Tuesday as I became the owner of the below motor-pace rig. After a new battery and a couple simple adjustments (picking up some mirrors this afternoon) it is running like a champ. Topped it out a little over 40mph (feel the power, baby) and is stable at lower speeds.

Already got Jake and Deb cruising around on it and, although she is resistant, I saw a grin on Deb's face last night as she was making loops through the neighborhood. Ian, of course, is loving being towed around and is already trying to convince me he is ready to drive on his own (easy, Evil Knievel). Jake is my main focus of getting him up to speed (literally) as he is my new designated pace driver.



Trying to decide if I want to hold on to the scooter or trade it off for a set of tubular 'cross wheels. Taking offers...

Took a nice rest on Wednesday and this morning Dale and I got rained out of our 2hr ride; thinking I'll make it a 1:30hr ride at lunch instead (if it's not raining).

Haven't mention this lately, but Jake started back running a couple weeks ago and he only made it three days before his pluerisy flared up again. He has been off for a couple weeks and has another week before he gives it another try (hopefully a perscription anti-inflammatory will keep it at bay). He is taking it pretty well, but once in a while you can tell it's weighing on him. Even with his non-running status, he has not missed a single AM session with his team this summer; he rides a bike with the group as they run. I am absolutely impressed with his commitment to his team (and coach); he is learning more 'life lessons' and discipline than he realizes - priceless.
.
Still debating racing mtb's this weekend; I'll admit the thought of dumping it and risking another injury weighs heavy on my mind. Guess I'll have to drop this skirt (figuratively) I'm wearing and put on some 'big boy pants' one these days... Think I'll pre-ride the course a couple times tomorrow afternoon, see how it goes, and make my descision from there. Hard to pass up a race 20 minutes from the house since it's a two/three hour (minimum) trip to most events.

No comments:

Post a Comment