Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hot Again... Outside and On The Court

It's time to back off the intensity on the fitness front and slowly build up for the year's main event: CYCLOCROSS! I have one or two more crits, but (like the other earlier races) I am not focused on winning any of these. Figure the rest of July will be pretty much easy/light spinning on gravel/dirt roads before taking back up a couple notches in August. Looks like Jeff Yielding's Hermann Under the Lights is on for Sept 18th with a follow-up race the day after and these will kick off my season. JY always puts on solid events and is a good guy so his events are always on my calendars.

Monday I took in some noonball at lunch and the intensity was HUGE. Matched up with an 18yr old kid for most of the day and he had my HR busting out of chest. Still fun for this 42yr old to be able to match the college players step for step (in the open court).

Monday evening I knocked out my first swim laps in over two years. I always loved the overall fitness strength it gave when I raced tri's for six years. Much like golf swimming is big on technique so it took several laps before it starting feeling fluid again; still have a long ways to get 'slippery', but I am looking forward to two to three aqua workouts a week. No tri's in the future (short term that is; I will knock out an IM in the next two to three years), simply working whole body strength and fitness.

Tuesday after work Dale and I hit the roads for a 2hrs. It was a steamer out there so we cruised pretty light out to Bona and back. He is a great riding partner and solid friend.


Wednesday I hit the basketball court with Ian for some noonball. We were short a couple players so Coach Guiot's son (5th grader) and Ian (4th) stepping in. It was fun seeing them run with us and playing as hard as they could. The below is Ian in the white shirt.





The heat index outside is nasty and I have low to no motivation to ride at noon or after work. For a while it's all easy AM spins.


Good stage yesterday at the TdF with today and the next couple probably being less dramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment