Monday, July 12, 2010

Weekend Wrap Up

Friday after work we all loaded up and headed to SGF for Ian's final baseball tournament. The boys came up against some tough competition and lost the first two games and since it was a double elimination event their season finished just like that. They finished the year 24-5 which is a huge improvement from last year. Ian continued to play stellar in the field and got better and better at the plate as the year progressed; he even drove in the tying run Friday night to send the game into extra innings (before losing).

E was pretty bummed initially, but on the drive home basketball (his first love) was already on his mind and wanted to know when he and I could get to the gym to start working ball handling and shooting... Fall basketball starts in October so it's good for him to have some downtime between the two.
.
Up and out on the road early (6am) for a three hour ride with Nate and Dale. We hit some roads north that we hadn't seen in some months and it turned out a great ride.
After a quick clean-up Dale and I crashed in the living room to watch TdF with Ian. Not a significant stage, but always fun when the roads turn upwards.
.
Saturday afternoon was 100% outside getting shrubs, garden, and lawn in order. Cucumbers are pouring in and the tomatoes on right on the edge (pulled a couple cherry tomatoes already). The Serrano peppers are crazy hot this year.
.
About mid-afternoon Deb asked if I would jump on the tandem with her and some friends for a ride and who am I to turn down my girl. Ian and I grabbed some swim gear and spent an hour at SBU's pool goofing off. Ian is trying to perfect his 'belly-flops' (which make me cringe) and below is a clip of the action:
At 5pm my bro, the Kemps, the Harris', Sue R., Deb, and I headed out for a ride and ended up bagging 2:20hrs in some beautiful weather. Although we didn't ride hard my legs were cooked by the end of the day (5:20 hrs). The rest of the evening was pretty laid back with no much happening.
The other day Ian showed me something pretty cool in his Sports Illustrated Kids magazine; Fabian Cancellera was a 'trading card' along side other US sports figures. Interesting in that neither LA nor Levi (or AC) has been in there.
Sunday morning the legs were feeling a good prior day's ride and the 'mugginess' was already hanging in the air... no mtb'ing for me today. I know my limits and hot & humid on the road/crit is way better than the same in the woods at 10mph (can be brutal to say the least). So the DVR was set to record TdF and off to church it was. Afterwards we had a good lunch with some friends before heading back to the casa for a day of nothingness (the best kind). Lots of Catan, TdF viewing (interesting to see AC could not match AS at the end), watched 'Green Zone' (not as good as anticipated, and Deb's homemade Chicken Enchiladas (super yum!).

Not sure how much riding I'll do this week as I am in need some solid rest/recovery days, but imagine a handful of easy cruises here and there. Going to take a solid month of easy riding before building for a full 'cross season; it's a couple of months away... I plan to race the St. John's crit in SGF in late July and then call it wraps on the crit season (bummer to miss some early ones, but next year is just around the corner).

No comments:

Post a Comment