Monday, August 16, 2010

Cool Temps - AHHHHHH

Friday after work I jumped in the SBU pool and got in some solid laps. That was my fitness for the day as I was still dragging hiney from being out late the night prior.

Saturday it was up and at 'em at the crack of dawn. Wheels rolling at 5:50am to meet up with a small group at 6am. With a couple no-shows it was Dale, Ira, myself, and 'new-to-group-rides' TJ Johns. We rolled out a handful of miles before Dale (who sounded horrible) pulled the plug and headed home; turns out he was fighting a chest cold and it had him jacked up pretty bad). Now the three of us until TJ hits a peice of metal in the road and sliced a brand new tire. All set to repair and his back up tube is faulty (after going thru 3 co2s) so he calls his wife for rescue. Ira and I finally continue on and wrapped up a solid three hours or ride time. It was a decent morning temp wise, but the humidity was thick.


Got home to find Ian had a buddy over for the day so we loaded everyone up and hit our local breakfast joint. Back to the house for chores and lounging - Nice!


Sunday found us all sleeping in late before heading off to church. Afterwards we kicked around the casa doing not a whole lot (if you don't count sharpening my Tiger Woods '09 skills) until Ian and I headed off to the gym for a quick shoot around. We ended up going toe to toe on the free throw line and let's just say he is still looking for his first win...




Jake and Andee had me watch an interesting (not saying it's good nor bad, just interesting) flick called the Sasquatch Gang (same folks who did Napoleon Dynamite if that tells you anything). I am sure it will be funnier as (if) I watch it a time or two more...


Deb headed off out on the bike for a cruise as the temps were finally getting in her 'comfort' range. I am looking forward to doing some good tandem riding with her this fall. Ian and I knocked out some bike maintenance (he on his rig which he needs no assistance) while Deb was out. He has really taken to riding as of late.


Met Ira at SBU and got in a great 1:20hrs of bike driving practice on the three separate courses. The new cockpit setup allows so much easier flow in, thru, and out of corners. Course #1 is all about turning, turning, and more turning #2 features straight ahead pedaling on rolling grass with some decent long slow climbing and #3 is a nice mix of both. We are not hammering the pace, but likewise theres no goofing around. We keep the flow going from one course to the other without much of a break.



This year at the HUTL the Cat 4 race winner (combined both days) gets a Specialized frame and fork, so... Ira and I started project "Get Ira a Frame". He is riding pretty solid and has a pretty good shot at it.


Got home and Deb and I headed out on a blanket in the front yard to see if we could find any of the meteor stragglers. She saw one and I struck out. Time flew by as we chit chatted and before you know it it was way past 11pm. A light breeze combined with cool temps made for a perfect night out and I almost grabbed a sleeping bag and crashed in the fresh air, but I ended up passing.



Monday morning at 6am Ira and I met at SBU to take in the SBU's "Welcome to your first day of collegiate cross country" 5k time trial for the kids on the Bearcat team. Several of the boys look good while it was apparent a couple were not 'properly prepared' and thus are probably still wondering what they are doing there (funny, but good wake up call). Afterwards he and I took in a nice 1:30hr spin in the most awesome weather in some time; I didn't want to stop riding.



Played 1:30hr basketball at noon and after work Ian and I hopped on the tandem while Deb rode solo for a fun 45minutes. It was such a nice evening out no one wanted to go back inside.

This evening the A&B Dirt Crit takes a breather and the St. John's Cycling Waffle Race #2 is up; 33 miles (3 laps) around Fellows Lake outside of SGF. No expectations other than surviving as long as possible, which last time meant take fair share of pulls until the last lap and then take every other one and hold on for dear life; I expect the same beating tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment